"Cannot connect: invalid settings."

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

"Cannot connect: invalid settings."

Postby ahero4heor » 17. December 2008 04:46

PMA displays that upon entering. I've looked at all the password and username data I could find, but to no avail. Right now I've got no access to MySQL. It's running, responding but not letting anything access it. Anybody have a solution I could try?
I'm noob to anything with XAMPP, so gimme something I can Copy + Paste. :|
ahero4heor

Re: "Cannot connect: invalid settings."

Postby Sharley » 17. December 2008 05:46

Sorry no copy and pastes just yet as we need more details of what you have tried/done/changed up to now.

Your installed XAMPP then you set a password for MySQL/phpMyAdmin root user in the Security page of the XAMPP Welcome Page, correct?

You clicked on the phpMyAdmin link in the Welcome Page then entered that password for root user when the PMA login screen presented, correct?

You then got an error message, correct?

You then pasted all that error message here, correct?

Did you try and login to PMA with a username other than root?

Did you change the root user password at any time other than by using the Security page from the XAMPP Welcome page - in the Privileges section of PMA for example?

Have you changed or added anything to any configuration or ini file?

To help us help you you will have to be our eyes and relay what you have done and what you see.
Thanks
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby ahero4heor » 17. December 2008 08:15

Nope, no passwords were set on my behalf. It's not public either - so no conundrum there either. I've reinstalled XAMPP 3 times now to no avail. It should be entirely resetting itself, but no changes have been occurring. I just don't want to lose anything I've been working on so I've been keeping the databases and htdocs folders. Would that be a problem? I can stand to lose the databases, if need be. Also, the very first thing I see when displaying the url http://localhost/phpmyadmin is the error page with the pma logo, theme and the few words "Cannot connect:...", so no other steps are taken before arriving there.
ahero4heor

Postby Sharley » 17. December 2008 08:32

ahero4heor wrote:...I've reinstalled XAMPP 3 times now to no avail. It should be entirely resetting itself, but no changes have been occurring. I just don't want to lose anything I've been working on so I've been keeping the databases and htdocs folders. Would that be a problem?
You have been reinstalling over the top of an existing XAMPP installation without uninstalling XAMPP first which will not work as a reinstall does not overwrite existing files like one would expect.

So you have to stop all XAMPP components including any running as a service then delete the whole xampp folder.

You can make a copy of only your files in the htdocs folder not any of the XAMPP files.
You can make a copy of only the named databases you created from the .\xampp\mysql\data folder not any others especially the phpmymdmin named database.

These copies should be stored outside of the xampp folder you are to delete.

Then you are clear to reinstall XAMPP.

First try and access PMA with your new install.

Then if you can access PMA copy over those files you saved back to their old folders and then try again - first stop all XAMPP components then start them again after the copy over of the files.

If it fails again then the problem could be in your files and your databases in which case loosing then and starting over fresh may be your only option.
Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby ahero4heor » 18. December 2008 01:24

Alright... I'll be trying that shortly. :)
It sounds like fair game, either way. Nothing I didn't expect, thanks.
ahero4heor

Return to XAMPP for Windows