Need help fixing XAMPP Control Panel after installing twice.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Need help fixing XAMPP Control Panel after installing twice.

Postby dmphotography » 15. December 2008 14:44

Hey everyone,
I successfully installed and set up XAMPP and phpBB forum. I have it configured to my domain name and everything is functioning properly. I decided to try and set up a second website on the same server and I tried using XAMPP to do so by installing it in a second directory. The first install was in C:\xampp\ and the second install was in C:\xampp2\. The first site still works correctly and the domain still goes to the correct site.

The problem is the XAMPP Control Panel says "Current Directory: C:\xampp2\" and "Install Directory: C:\xampp2". My question is how do I configure that back to the first site, C:\xampp\ ?

Also, is this the correct way to install a second site with MySQL and PHP for a second forum that will have a different domain? If not, how do I do it?

Thank you very much for any help!
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Need help fixing XAMPP Control Panel after installing twice.

Postby thekingofcaseys » 16. December 2008 17:18

I dont understand why you tried to install 2 servers on one machine if you want to host more than one site I would suggest you try using VIRTUAL HOSTS this will allow you to host as many site as you like on one installaition.

As for the installation I would simple back up everything remove it all then reinstall making sure to back up your htdocs folder and also the database from within the mysql > data folder.

Once you have reinstalled simple copy back the htdocs folder and the database folder to there original locations.

there probably is a better soloution but for a quick fix I would just recomened doing this other wise i have a feeling your going to be messing with your windows registry to achieve such a task
For One On One Xampp Support Try Me I May Know The Answer PM Or Email Or MSN
thekingofcaseys

Postby dmphotography » 16. December 2008 20:22

thekingofcaseys wrote:I dont understand why you tried to install 2 servers on one machine if you want to host more than one site I would suggest you try using VIRTUAL HOSTS this will allow you to host as many site as you like on one installaition.

Hey thekingofcaseys,
I was unclear as to how setting up a second website on the same server worked. None of the posts I read made it clear as to if whether or not I needed to re-install MySQL and PHP for a second website or not. I engaged this project as a way to teach myself more about how it works, so it's been quite a learning process for me. I've never dealt with MySQL databases or PHP before, so I didn't know if they were installed and dedicated to a single website or if they could serve multiple websites.

I now have a better understanding of virtual hosts and how it works, so I definitely see where I messed up. Fortunately, I renamed the second install folder before deleting it and had to re-direct one thing and it all works perfect, so no harm done. I would benefit from an "Idiot's Guide to Web Hosting". LOL. With lot's of pictures and simple wording.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby thekingofcaseys » 19. December 2008 04:43

Hey we all start somewhere, I have since moved on from hosting xampp on windows to running a dedicated linux machine and again i started from scrath not really keen on a server with no GUI but once you get used to it, its like riding a bike.

Although i still keep falling off I just get back on and keep trying.
For One On One Xampp Support Try Me I May Know The Answer PM Or Email Or MSN
thekingofcaseys

Return to XAMPP for Windows