#1046 - No database selected

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: #1046 - No database selected

Postby redbourn » 16. December 2008 06:57

thanks Sharley,

sorry I didn't know it was 'off topic'.

I have seen similar questions to mine posted by a good many people on several forums and no one got a 'resolved' answer.

Plenty of answers contain replies such as 'just download all your Wordpress files to the local version', which we know doesn't work.

It's a pity if it can't be done because it would mean that there'd be little point in having a local version except for experimentation.

Thanks for all the help with this and if it can be done and you can explain it in a sort of a, b, c, d, type format then it would be wonderful if you'd email it to me at michael@ourchangingglobe.com

I was able to download my database a few days ago and I haven't touched anything since.

http://www.yearinbrazil.com/misc/payoffdebts_wp.zip - is the database. Not that you'll want it but you'll see that it was exportable.

thanks again,

Mike
redbourn

Postby redbourn » 16. December 2008 13:25

"off topic" but 170 views at the time of posting this :P

Seems like there's a need to have this resolved - even here.

Piotr who is a very helpful guy over at 110mb says that he will install XAMPP this evening and then attempt to upload and download a WebPress site.

I hope he backs it up first!

If and when he succeeds he will post his results and the necessary steps to achieve it.

If he succeeds, I have suggested a 'sticky' which this forum might then post a link to so as not to get involved in this issue again.

Mike

P.S. After Piotr signs up how do I get my commission? Just kidding!
redbourn

Postby redbourn » 18. December 2008 09:45

Hi,

After failing the first time, Piotr from 110mb came up with this and says it works.

1) Download ALL the online WP files and overwrite your local ones.

2) Delete the 'tables' in your local XAMPP database.

3) Export your online database and import it into your local XAMPP data base.

4) Edit your local wp-config.php file.

5) Edit the URLs inside your database (in table wp_options) to match new address (http://localhost/wordpress).

#2 is not somthing that I'd heard of.

I hope the above will be useful if and when somebody else comes back with the same questions that I had.

Thanks again for all your help and pointers,

Mike
redbourn

Previous

Return to XAMPP for Windows