xampp displays incorrectly

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: xampp displays incorrectly

Postby papaalpha » 09. December 2008 09:56

Okay. Did that and opened the xampp control panel. Started Apache, MySQL, and Filezilla and they all started up fine. There is a checkmark in the svc column for Apache and Filezilla, but not MySQL. Is this a problem?

The error log file is reading a ton of the same errors as before. The error refers to DOCUME~1 at C:. It is like a session failed to start.
"PHP Warning: Unknown: open(C:\\DOCUME~1\\HP_ADM~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\php\\upload\\sess_vo7kfhr06ggig792hb2h12bv37bcjlpe, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://localhost/xampp/navi.php"

I also received two errors on starting up the MySQL again.
"[Mon Dec 08 10:59:44 2008] [error] [client 192.168.0.100] PHP Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_HOST in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\index.php on line 7
[Mon Dec 08 19:04:45 2008] [error] [client 192.168.0.100] PHP Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_HOST in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\index.php on line 7"

I tried to test some of the pages in localhost and the art section doesn't work.

Any ideas?
papaalpha

Re: xampp displays incorrectly

Postby Sharley » 09. December 2008 11:08

There is a checkmark in the svc column for Apache and Filezilla, but not MySQL. Is this a problem?
No problem, as that is the result of running the sc delete mysql command - it removed the mysql service which would have had a tick in the Svc box next to MySQL in the XCP.

I recommend you remove the ticks in all the Svc boxes unless you want to run the XAMPP components every time you boot your PC, for most people this is not required and only causes confusion and sometimes unusual errors - until you have it all running correctly it would be best, in my opinion, to start the individual XAMPP components manually in the XCP one at a time and make sure each has started without issue or by using the start bat files (these bat files give good error messages if there are starting issues).

I tried to test some of the pages in localhost and the art section doesn't work.
Can you elaborate as "doesn't work" tells me nothing - are there any messages returned on the Flash Arts page?

The error log file is reading a ton of the same errors as before. The error refers to DOCUME~1 at C:. It is like a session failed to start.
"PHP Warning: Unknown: open(C:\\DOCUME~1\\HP_ADM~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\php\\upload\\sess_vo7kfhr06ggig792hb2h12bv37bcjlpe, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://localhost/xampp/navi.php"
This is only a Warning not an Error. The folder is:
C:\Documents and Settings|[your logon name here]\Local Settings\Temp
Go in Explorer and look in this Temp folder and my guess is it would be ram jam full of old unused temporary files that can be deleted - do a Google for clearing the User Temp file on boot.

These old files may be giving some issues - I have only one file in my Temp folder and that is the current file being used by the system after the OS is up and running (usually can't be deleted until the PC is booted again) and looks like this but changes after every reboot - ~DFEF13.tmp

Those log errors may be your local network settings as I see an IP address which would normally be localhost (127.0.0.1) not a network IP 192.168.0.100 which may have something to do with the Windows HOSTS file - I am not familiar with local networking so you may have to wait until someone more knowledgeable on those errors spots this thread and offers you some help.

It might be a good idea to clear your error.log file to get a clearer picture of relevant messages.
This can be done by stopping Apache (un-tick the Svc also) and load the error.log file in your text editor and delete all the content then save the empty file - then start Apache again and recheck the error.log file for any new issues or the old ones recurring.

If you can access the XAMPP Welcome page and most of the demos are working then we have come a long way already - now all that is required is to clean up those error messages which is a gray area for me.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Previous

Return to XAMPP for Windows