Pages visible from my machine, just not others

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Pages visible from my machine, just not others

Postby jaypbaker » 01. December 2008 04:13

A reverse of a topic below... I can see my apache fine using all ways, localhost, ISP#, and via a no-ip.com address. Problem is that no one can open the page from the outside, they say it just hangs there! Is there any reason that I am unaware of that could limit outsiders from seeing me? in my router all http and ftp ports are forwarded correctly, the XAMPP install all is opened through the Vista firewall, in fact it seems as if all is well. Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: I see that windows Vista has apache loaded twice under processes? is this supposed to do this? I set the option to run this as a service in the XAMPP control panel, but I did not think it should need it twice but maybe I am wrong
jaypbaker

Postby Sharley » 01. December 2008 06:32

2 instances of apache.exe is fine and is how it works - one instance is a thin wrapper for the other instance.

Problem is that no one can open the page from the outside, they say it just hangs there!
We are no ones here too so how about a link so us no ones can test your URI to see if it hangs on us?
Not keen on hearsay, I like to see for myself. ;)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

I can appreciate that

Postby jaypbaker » 01. December 2008 07:44

http://mazeankore.servegame.com/

I sure appreciate that, Is very good to know that the service is at least loaded right, Ty
jaypbaker

Postby Wiedmann » 01. December 2008 07:56

mazeankore.servegame.com

Does not work in browser or ping.
check if:
- the ip is up to date
- your router allows ping
- your isp allows server and don't block server ports.

Especially the last one. Because Cox don't allow servers and is blocking some ports. Read your contract with the isp carefully!
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

I suspected

Postby jaypbaker » 01. December 2008 08:25

yes I have cox... and to read through their entire agreement would take days lol. This is probably the case.

My goal is to run a game server for pre alpha testing, for an mmorpg I am developing. At this stage in development it is to my advantage to not have it hosted yet as the files are too large to create something, then upload 1.8 gb of files to a hosted server, then test, then repeat - all day long. The server can be connected to by the client via my ip address, but the updates (so my testers dont have to download the whole package everytime) needs to be located at http://myip/updates. The updater uses an update.php file, and the traffic is on port 25000, so I wonder if it is still possible.

I really hope there is a soloution for me. If not iI may have to change providers, as to me the only reason for internet is to be able to fully use it. I may have to consider a T line to my house then and fully host my whole project.

Thank you for this information.
jaypbaker

Return to XAMPP for Windows