I need help extracting and installing XAMPP for Windows!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

I need help extracting and installing XAMPP for Windows!

Postby Advice Pro » 19. November 2008 21:59

I downloaded the zip of XAMPP and then I downloaded 7 Zip, which is a unzip utility. I don't exactly know what to extract from XAMPP using 7 Zip as there are many files to XAMPP.
Luis Arturo Pina III
Advice Pro

Postby Dave_L » 19. November 2008 23:05

It's easier if you download the Installer rather than the ZIP.
Dave_L

Re: I need help extracting and installing XAMPP for Windows!

Postby Sharley » 19. November 2008 23:20

Advice Pro wrote:I downloaded the zip of XAMPP and then I downloaded 7 Zip, which is a unzip utility. I don't exactly know what to extract from XAMPP using 7 Zip as there are many files to XAMPP.
7zip will extract all the files in the zip or 7zip archive to the C: drive or any other drive and location you nominate.

The archiver either zip or 7zip will extract all the files in the archive and place them correctly in the C:\xampp folder tree, for example, and it doesn't get much easier than that.

Each of the installation methods is a personal preference issue and what suits one individual will inevitably not suit another - either one of the methods has it's seemingly good points and its conversely seemingly bad points, but my honest opinion is that as long as you stick to the one method that best suits your needs throughout the installation and eventual upgrade processes then you should not have too many issues.

Best read all the pages on the ApacheFriends web site for some very useful and helpful information before proceeding to use XAMPP.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows