Trying to follow someone else's footprints

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Trying to follow someone else's footprints

Postby cjp7505 » 18. November 2008 15:58

I'm trying to pull data from an oracle db, someone mentioned they were able to do this via xampp w/ the perl add-on. While following his procedures he mentions running c:\xampp\perl\bin\ppm.bat which should install the perl package manager.

I've looked in the mentioned folder and there alot of batch files but no ppm.bat file. Now his instructions are not brand new and this batch file might be called something else these days. Any idea how I gain acees to perl package monitor? I need it to add the DBI-ODBC module.

Thanks for any help offered, and I'll keep researching your documentation.
cjp7505

Postby Sharley » 18. November 2008 23:36

Lists of included modules in the perl addon can be found here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/winxampp/p ... inside.txt
http://localhost/perl/perlinfo.pl

ppm.bat is located in the .\xampp\perl\bin folder, even in the latest perl addon - reinstall the addon but with a fresh download if possible and use the zip version so you can check the contents of the bin folder.

Open a command console window in the above folder or from the start>Run...>cmd.exe then cd to the above folder or simply double click on the ppm.bat file.

This will open the Perl Package Manager window which then connect to ActiveState's Package Repository to Synchronize the database of modules - which on a slow dial-up connection may take some time - make sure your firewall will allow PPM to access the Internet.

Do not close the Command Console window until you are finished with the PPM or you will also close the PPM.

BTW I don't see a DBI::ODBC module anywhere only a DBD::ODBC module - use Google for DBI-ODBC for more info perhaps.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

No PPM??

Postby jagspecx » 20. November 2008 20:08

I don't see ppm.bat either - even after a "fresh" install (fresh as in 20 Oct 2008) or in the ZIP file. Is there another Perl module installation paradigm going forward or ....?
jagspecx

Postby Sharley » 20. November 2008 23:54

cjp7505 wrote:someone mentioned they were able to do this via xampp w/ the perl add-on...

jagspecx wrote:I don't see ppm.bat either - even after a "fresh" install (fresh as in 20 Oct 2008) or in the ZIP file. Is there another Perl module installation paradigm going forward or ....?

Sharley wrote:ppm.bat is located in the .\xampp\perl\bin folder, even in the latest perl addon - reinstall the addon but with a fresh download if possible and use the zip version so you can check the contents of the bin folder.

I have downloaded and verified the contents of the Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9-pl1 Addon using the 7zip archive and the ppm.bat file is included.

In a basic install of XAMPP there is only a very lite version of Perl which does not include much at all and definitely does not include the ppm.bat file.

To get the full benefit of Perl, you would need to install the Perl Addon,
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#644

...which, apart from including the ppm.bat file, includes many essential modules.
http://www.apachefriends.org/winxampp/perl-modules.html

The simple installation instructions, which BTW requires the running of the setup_xampp.bat file twice, can be found and read here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/winxampp/r ... n-perl.txt

It is advisable to use the same install method used when installing XAMPP.
For example, if you used the Installer version to install XAMPP then use the Installer version to install Addons.

BTW if you just see lots of files without a file extensions like .bat or .exe for example then you would need to configure Windows to not Hide extensions of know file types in Folder Options.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Found ppm

Postby jagspecx » 21. November 2008 00:40

I figured out the problem (unfortunately I did it before Sharley's reply, which would have saved me some heartburn). The current (as of posting this) apachefriends.org link goes to the Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9-pl2 version, which DOES NOT contain a full version of ActivePerl. If you go directly to SourceForge and look at the versions there, however, you can get the Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9 version (notice the missing -pl2) which DOES contain a full version of ActivePerl, including ppm.
jagspecx

Postby Sharley » 21. November 2008 02:29

:oops: Double posted with the same reply, please see below.
Last edited by Sharley on 23. November 2008 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Sharley » 21. November 2008 02:31

Some confusion here caused by incorrect or missing information on the ApacheFriends page containing the Perl Addon - though the readme and the introduction to the Perl Addon does mention that the pl* versions do not contain ActivePerl (No ActivePerl).

I am therefore 'assuming' that the Perl Addons with a pl added to the name are only upgrades to the current major Perl Addon releases and that are installed over the top of a currently installed Perl Addon.

No where can I find verification of this and so it remains an assumption but the only clue I could find to this is in the actual archive file sizes, with the pl* version archives being considerably smaller than the main version archive.

Perhaps the XAMPP developer responsible for the Perl Addon, Kay Vogelgesang perhaps, could reply here, or at the very least make this assumption of mine, if indeed it is in fact an assumption, clear on the XAMPP For Windows web page - so that those downloading the Perl Addon know that they should first download from Sourceforge the major addon version before downloading and installing the pl* addon upgrade...

...the end result of downloading just the pl* addon is, as has been posted here, an incomplete and therefore limited and useless Perl instance.

In my case, upgrading or overwriting my very first Perl install has all I have ever done so there will always be a full Perl installation on my system, which explains why I could not understand there not being a ppm.bat file included in the latest perl addon download archive linked from the ApacheFriends web page.

So in conclusion and to clarify for other members who may be in confusion, down the latest major Perl Addon Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9 (minus the pl bit) from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=113693

Then overwrite that main Perl Addon with the upgrade addon versions Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9-pl1 from the above SourceForge link and or Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9-pl2 from here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#644

Remember that when ever you install a major Perl Addon version or just an upgrade pl* version that you must still follow the installation instruction, particularly the need to run the setup_xampp.bat file twice.

Good luck with your Perl.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby airsurfer » 23. November 2008 17:58

I'm glad I've found this topic because I ran into the problem when installing MovableType on XAMPP.
I previously installed both XAMPP and Perl via the installer. I downloaded the zips of both Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9 and Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9-pl2. I copied Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9-pl2 over Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9 in a temp folder, renamed the old Perl directory and copied the new one.
It basically works until I start to use PPM. It then complains when installing DBD::mysql about versions not matching 1.6007 and 1.6004.

Any idea what to do next? I need to add DBD::mysql.

Thanks.
airsurfer

Postby Sharley » 24. November 2008 01:18

OK, I have been able to replicate this issue with the ppm GUI.

Addon *pl2 (No Active Perl), it seems, is at fault and to fix it go back and install again the full Perl addon 5.10.0-2.2.9 over the top of *pl2 selecting to overwrite all files when extracting the archive - then again follow the install instructions, including the part that tells you to run the xampp_setup.bat file twice.

This fixed it for me and I suggest to all who read this to only install the full Perl addon 5.10.0-2.2.9 from SourceForge not the smaller (No ActivePerl) pl2 version, as this seems to be causing too many issues and it appears not have been adequately tested by the XAMPP developers before being posted on their web site.

BTW I did a test with *pl1 (no ActivePerl) over the main addon again and ppm.bat worked but *pl2 (no ActivePerl) failed with the GUI error posted above.

Until there is either word from the developers...
(I won't hold my breath as they seem to be up to their armpits in php and so Perl gets seemingly put on the back burner)
...or a new full Perl addon version is released, perhaps with an XAMPP version update in the future - the latest full Addon Perl 5.10.0-2.2.9 and the *pl1 version overwrite work fine for me and all my scripts have no issues at all.

Although there seems to be an issue with the XAMPP Welcome page Perl menu items that give a 404 Not Found error but after checking that this line in the httpd.conf file was correctly uncommented the 404 errors were no more:
# Perl
Include conf/extra/perl.conf

Then restart Apache after uncommenting the line if it was commented out as in my case - btw, the above line commented or uncommented has no effect on the *pl2 GUI issue.

Also check the Perl link in the XAMPP Welcome page http://localhost for the phpinfo() details and see if DBD::mysql is included in your Perl installation.

On verifying installed packages for DBD::mysql with ppm I found the modules in the following location in my installation:
C:\xampp\perl\site\lib\auto\DBD\mysql
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows