Rotatelogs, Cronolog - Either way the instances keep growing

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Rotatelogs, Cronolog - Either way the instances keep growing

Postby webworker01 » 07. November 2008 00:21

Hi I am using XAMPP 1.6.3a (Old version because I need TomCat working correctly and it wasn't with newer XAMPP's for a little) on Windows Server 2003 Standard.

I have been using rotatelogs for a while to split up the logs into manageable portions. The problem is that after leaving the server run for a while I eventually see like 20 or 30 instances rotatelogs.

I am also experiencing occasional server hang-ups. I am unsure if this is caused by the extraneous rotatelogs instances.

So I found cronolog to be an alternative to rotatelogs that had a windows binary compiled for me. Happy with my new solution, I went to sleep.

Today I look and now I have about 10 instances of cronolog.exe in my task manager, and I'm sure if I leave it be for a couple days I'll be back to the 20 - 30 instances and an increasingly less responsive web server.

I guess I am just trying to find out if there is any other way to rotate my log files as I am using AWStats to read my logs hourly, and ginormous single access.log is out of the question.

Here are the CustomLog commands I used for both of these log rotater applications (one at a time of course)

Code: Select all
   CustomLog "|C:/logs/rotatelogs.exe C:/logs/access%Y%m%d.log 86400" mylogs

Code: Select all
   CustomLog "|C:/logs/cronolog.exe C:/logs/access%Y%m%d.log" mylogs

I need a solution, cuz I really don't want to have to reboot my server, or manually kill these extra processes.

I have seen mod_log_rotate as an alternative, but I am unsure if it will work with my setup, or where to get a compiled version for Windows.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,
Owen
webworker01

Postby Sharley » 07. November 2008 00:38

Only a suggestion but have you tried the Windows Schedule program - by creating a bat file to run then close .\xampp\apache\bin\rotatelogs.exe?

Run from a command console in the above folder will give the help and command screen.

This old post translated from German may hold some bat file clues

More batch file help from the first result in this Google search:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@httpd ... 23109.html

Also have you looked into an AutoMate style program that you may find that is either freeware or at least very cheap as AutoMate will skin an arm and leg off you. ;)

Another avenue is WinCron that might also suit your needs.

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows