mysqldump, 1045 error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysqldump, 1045 error

Postby Chipper » 27. October 2008 17:06

Hi folks,
I've had XAMPP running for a while and all is OK as regards serving up database, running phpMyAdmin and so on. I can also run the mysql command prompt OK and import SQL files.

Trying to dump any database gives the 1045 error. Root does have a password. Initially I had no root password, and got the 1045, so defined one via the XAMPP utility but I still get the error:

Code: Select all
>mysqldump -u root -p my-db-name > something.sql
Enter password: ****

mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect

I've tried specifying the password in the command, same result though.
XAMPP 1.6.7 on Vista

Thanks,
Bill
Chipper

Postby Chipper » 27. October 2008 17:16

OK pls ignore the above for now. The thing has just started working ... Done nothing, changed nothing. Beginning to really dislike Vista... No probs with the exact same setup here on an XP box.
Chipper

Postby Sharley » 28. October 2008 00:33

Chipper wrote:...Beginning to really dislike Vista... No probs with the exact same setup here on an XP box.

A few tips worth noting for Vista Command Console users especially elevating the Command Console to have administrator privileges:

Right-click on any folder on your Windows Vista machine while holding down the shift key.
You'll see an extra context-sensitive menu item there: Open Command Prompt here.
Just click on this menu and a Command Console Window will open with the current working directory set to the folder's actual location.

In the past there was a Windows XP PowerToy that did this; now it's built into the operating system, albeit hidden away to protect the unwary from themselves.

What's really cool about this is that if the target folder is a network location, Windows Vista silently maps a network drive to that location before opening the folder (so that your Command Prompt has a valid path containing a drive letter) and then deletes the network drive once the Command Console Window is closed.

----

User Account Control is an important part of the security protection that Windows Vista offers.

For any user with administrative credentials, you can always execute a process with full admin rights by right-clicking on the executable or shortcut and choosing "Run as Administrator".

Useful if you regularly want to open an admin-level command prompt, and it's a distraction to have to move your hands off the keyboard to go through the elevation contortions.

A little keyboard shortcut for launching an elevated process.

Simply press Ctrl+Shift+Enter from the search bar on the start menu with a selected application, and that triggers elevation.

For example, to launch an elevated command prompt, simply press the Win key; type cmd; press Ctrl+Shift+Enter; and then hit Alt+C to confirm the elevation prompt.

Six keystrokes to an elevated command prompt!

Once you've got an elevated command prompt, execute color 4f as your first input so that this console window is visually differentiated from other non-elevated windows.

Tim Sneath's Blog - Musings of a Client Platform Technical Evangelist - Windows Vista Secrets and more can be found here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/default.aspx
You may have to Search the Archives to find them all but well worth it to help with those Vista growing pains. ;)

Another great Vista Tips site with a full command line reference page:
http://commandwindows.com/vista-tips.htm

An article with screen shots that looks informative:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 92566.html
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Chipper » 28. October 2008 11:22

Neat tips there Sharley. That prompt location thing is a nice one.

I've turned off UAC altogether on this box.
The thing was driving me mad; was sure I'd been using mysqldump OK a while ago, because I'd made notes... Yesterday though, no joy. Then a mnin after posting, working... Of course I could've done something different/stupid without realising it, but I'd just copied/pasted the commands from my doc. Later, all was OK.

With this and other Vista probs, I'll likely get shot of it and go back to XP Pro though, having had XAMPP on a few XP boxes with no bother at all.
Chipper

Return to XAMPP for Windows