Direction on Directories

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Direction on Directories

Postby In2mobi » 25. October 2008 07:48

I am running the newest xampp on a windows operating system. I like xampp because it seem to mimick a Linux environment which I plan on using when I get my hosting plan. An issue that I seem to be running into is when I create Directories in the xampp directory structure. Because the operating system that I'm using is Windows based and not Linux based, then I guessing that the way you assign directory and file permission will be done in the way that it is in the Windows environment and not the way it is done in a Linux environment? So because the directories will (for now) reside on a windows operating system, won't it be kind of hard to actually test the permission levels for the Linux environment? If you have delt with this type of issue, what did you do to correct the windows to linux permission levels.

Thank You
In2mobi
In2mobi

Re: Direction on Directories

Postby glitzi85 » 25. October 2008 18:38

Hi,

In2mobi wrote:I like xampp because it seem to mimick a Linux environment which I plan on using when I get my hosting plan.

That's incorrect. XAMPP is a package of a Apache (Webserver), MySQL (Databaseserver) and some programming languages (better: Interpreters of those languages). If you install those components or XAMPP on a Windows machine, you do not have anything to do with Linux.

In2mobi wrote:An issue that I seem to be running into is when I create Directories in the xampp directory structure. Because the operating system that I'm using is Windows based and not Linux based, then I guessing that the way you assign directory and file permission will be done in the way that it is in the Windows environment and not the way it is done in a Linux environment? So because the directories will (for now) reside on a windows operating system, won't it be kind of hard to actually test the permission levels for the Linux environment? If you have delt with this type of issue, what did you do to correct the windows to linux permission levels.

In most cases you don't have to care. Under Windows you will have no problems, as there all scripts should work without any problems (meaning the file permissions). What's happening when you upload your Scripts to an Linux-Server is based on the Settings of the Server. If you rent an own root-Server then you should know what to do, if you just have some Webspace, then you don't have to care too much. Most files and folders will have the correct owner, group and permissions after Upload, that's done by the FTP-Server. You only would have to change this if you have special scripts which want's to create or delete files or folders.

If you want to develop under a real situation, you can download a Virtual Machine Software (VMWare, VirtualBox) and install there an Linux Distribution of you choice. Then you have a running Linux inside Windows and you can see how it would be later.

glitzi
glitzi85

Return to XAMPP for Windows