How do I upload to my local XAMPP server?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How do I upload to my local XAMPP server?

Postby crikkey » 24. October 2008 00:45

XAMPP installed perfectly on my XP Home machine.

Now, how do I upload webpages from my website editor to my desktop server? Hostname, directory, username, password? My software also askes for a URL for the site. What should I tell it?

Where is this discussed in your docs?

If it makes any difference, I'm using a website program called Namo Web Editor 8. I know that XAMPP's working fine, because I was able to upload to my desktop server with EZGenerator. However, that program has built-in support for your software....

thanks!
crikkey

Postby Sharley » 24. October 2008 02:46

I have an older copy of Namo v6 and under the File menu I can Publish my site either to a Local location ie. C:\xampp\htdocs\mysite\ or to a Remote Site which would usually be hosted on an Internet Hosting Service and configured using the File menu item Remote Sites, which I believe you are referring to in your questions.

Hostname, directory, username, password?

Hostname = localhost
Directory = (for example) C:\xampp\htdocs\mysite - or where ever you have configured your web site's location in the apache server configs.
Username = the username you may have setup to access your localhost domain or leave blank.
Password = the password you may have setup to access your localhost domain or leave blank.
Note - Usually a user/pass to access configured localhost domains is not required, only to access the XAMPP localhost administration pages set up in http://localhost/security.

But usually publishing your site to a Local Address instead of a Remote Site Address when using XAMPP would perhaps be all you need to do.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Sharley » 24. October 2008 02:52

Just to add, the Help menu item Namo Web Editor Help subject:
Publishing and Maintaining a Site
Has some very useful related images and detailed help.
Last edited by Sharley on 25. October 2008 02:53, edited 2 times in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby crikkey » 24. October 2008 19:24

Sharley, thanks for the detailed and helpful response. It was just what I needed with Namo WE8.

However, I had to use the default username 'newuser' and the default password 'wampp', to get it working.

It's very cool having an Apache server on my desktop!
crikkey

Return to XAMPP for Windows