FileZilla will not work

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

FileZilla will not work

Postby Alison » 19. October 2008 15:33

Hi there!

I am having a little bit of trouble getting FileZilla to work at all. I have downloaded and installed xampp onto my USB flash drive because I need to be able to use it in different locations/on different computers.

Despite the control panel having a tick in the Svc box, I keep getting a message: "Error: FileZilla FTP must be run as a Service" when I try to start it. I have uninstalled an reinstalled it when prompted with no success. Any advice on getting around this problem would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Alison
Alison

Postby w4vy » 19. October 2008 18:44

I don't think you can because you're installing onto an USB and the FileZilla needs to be a Service on the PC and to use the USB in different computers would mean having to Install FileZilla as a Service on every PC you would use it from and Not from a USB. Only thing I can suggest is to find another FTP programe that is portable and doesn't require to be Ran as a Service.

w4vy

EDIT:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/f ... a_portable

;)
w4vy

Postby Sharley » 20. October 2008 01:25

Not sure if the link provided by w4vy is the FileZilla Server, to me it looks like the FileZilla FTP Client only.

However Alison, using the XAMPP installation of the FileZilla Server it may be possible to run the server on a USB stick using a command line switch as explained in this thread on the FileZilla Forum

botg - FileZilla Site Admin wrote:It's possible to start the service directly without a service using the /compat parameter.

Add two shortcuts with "FileZilla Server.exe" /compat /start and "FileZilla Server.exe" /compat /stop

Questions regarding this subject would best be directed at the above FileZilla Forums for seemingly more knowledgeable answers. ;)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby w4vy » 20. October 2008 08:40

hmm my bad I didn't read the page 100% and just thought it was a fix for her. anyway your link is the one to go for I can see that now :)

w4vy
w4vy

Return to XAMPP for Windows