How to set up XAMPP to act as a MySQL server / Remotely

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to set up XAMPP to act as a MySQL server / Remotely

Postby =IceBurn= » 21. July 2008 23:52

I have XAMPP installed and working, but I'm having problems with my web site hosting and MySQL usage, so I need to temporary set my PC to serve the MySQL databases to the outside world, so I need to connect from my www site to my localhost database.

I tried to disable my firewall and tried to connect like this:

$mysql_link_id = mysql_connect("xx.xx.xxx.x:3306", "XXUSERXX", "XXPASSWXX") or die('Error! Could not connect to database!');
mysql_select_db("mydatabase", $mysql_link_id) or die('Error! Could not select database!'.mysql_error());

But it won’t connect even when I run the code localy, I always get the connection error
(Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xx.XX.XXX.x' (10060))

Of course I have set the right password and username and XXX.XXXX.... is my real IP address.

And I tried with and without the Port number, no luck...

Also add access to any Host in phpMyAdmin:
USERNAME % Yes ALL PRIVILEGES Yes

Can someone please tell me how can I do this? I have 6000+ registered members waiting for this

Thanks in advance.
XaMpP RuLLeZ !!
=IceBurn=

Postby =IceBurn= » 22. July 2008 12:11

I would like to know how to do this, but I really dont need it anymore, since its worthless...

It's not just the MySQL, everything is broken at Dreamhost, where I have a coulple sites hosted. I cannot even connect to an external MySQL on the web without geting a CGI error (Internal Server Error).

Rememeber this: NEVER host your site with dreamhost.com NEVER!! I learn this the hard way!
XaMpP RuLLeZ !!
=IceBurn=

Postby Vulcan219 » 31. August 2008 09:44

If you want a reliable host, try 1and1.com, they are my host, I have had them for years now, and they also have great prices and hosting packages from websites to full servers, all for great prices.
Vulcan219

Return to XAMPP for Windows