XAMPP Windows 'Installer' smaller than 'ZIP' - why?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Windows 'Installer' smaller than 'ZIP' - why?

Postby mikey » 04. July 2008 15:41

Hi,

1) I want to download "XAMPP Windows 1.6.6a [Basic package]", but I don't understand why the "Installer" version is 34 MB and the "ZIP" version is 78 MB. Is the "Installer" version complete at 34 MB and does it contain all the features that are available in the 78 MB "ZIP" version?

I pay per MB to download files, therefore I need to know before I download because it is too expensive for me to download both files.

2) Also can you please tell me if the "advertised" download sizes on the downloads page for "XAMPP Windows 1.6.6a" are accurate? (I am asking this question becasue I abandoned my attempt to download "XAMPP Linux 1.6.6" recently via my "Windows XP Pro SP2" computer, because the "xampp-linux-1.6.6.tar" file is much bigger than the stipulated download size? The size of the incomplete download for the "xampp-linux-1.6.6.tar" file is 85.4MB on my computer, but the stated size on the downloads page for the complete download is 58 MB).

Your advice will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Mike
mikey

Re: XAMPP Windows 'Installer' smaller than 'ZIP' - why?

Postby Nobbie » 04. July 2008 16:00

mikey wrote:1) I want to download "XAMPP Windows 1.6.6a [Basic package]", but I don't understand why the "Installer" version is 34 MB and the "ZIP" version is 78 MB. Is the "Installer" version complete at 34 MB and does it contain all the features that are available in the 78 MB "ZIP" version?

The packages are identical. The installer is packed with a more powerfull algorithm than the old ZIP format.

In your case you should choose the "7-ZIP EXE" which is packed best and also contains all tools and features. It's a selfextracting archive.

mikey wrote:2) Also can you please tell me if the "advertised" download sizes on the downloads page for "XAMPP Windows 1.6.6a" are accurate? (I am asking this question becasue I abandoned my attempt to download "XAMPP Linux 1.6.6" recently via my "Windows XP Pro SP2" computer, because the "xampp-linux-1.6.6.tar" file is much bigger than the stipulated download size? The size of the incomplete download for the "xampp-linux-1.6.6.tar" file is 85.4MB on my computer, but the stated size on the downloads page for the complete download is 58 MB).

The advertised download sizes are (and were) correctly for all files. There is NO xampp-linux-1.6.6.tar file, but instead there is xampp-linux-1.6.6.tar.gz, which is a gzipped version of the tar file, and the size is exactly 58MB (as advertised). Maybe your download manager immediately unpacked the packed tar file (after downloading it), which then results in the bigger unpacked tar file.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows