How to send and receive email in Xampp?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to send and receive email in Xampp?

Postby Galdhrim » 05. June 2008 19:16

First I will try to explain my problem.

I need to setup an e-commerce site, as a class project. I decided to use xampp in my home computer, with no-ip to solve the problem of dynamic IP. But I could never make e-commerce to send email messages (I followed a lot of hints to use fakemail, but it never worked).

Also, since I need a secure connection, I tried to ask a comodo free trial certificate. At first, I had a problem because they said somebody had already asked a certificate for no-ip.org domain. I opened a ticket and explained the situation, and they fixed it. Then I tried again, and now I must be able to receive an email in admin@mynoipsubdomain.no-ip.org to let them know I am really the admin of that subdomain. Great, so now I ALSO have to be able to receive emails in my computer...

So I read the Mercury manual, I did the few thing I could understand (it was very late at night), and tried to send a message using the File menu, to my gmail account, and it worked fine. I replied the message... but I couldn't receive the reply. I tried to configure Thunderbird to access the admin account, but it didn't find any message. After several test messages, the queue folder have a lot of files, from 0 kb to 32 kb. And the worst thing is my class project is not about configuring a server, it is about setting up the e-commerce site, and that part is halted because I can't make the server use email functions. I am running out of time... so if somebody can help me to solve this problem, I would really apreciate it. I'd love to read the manual and research all the topics I don't know what is it talking about, but I can't do that now...
Galdhrim

Postby Galdhrim » 05. June 2008 19:26

By the way, here is something gmail said about the bounced message (but now they are not even bouncing)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

postmaster@brainbitsbooks.no-ip.org

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 553 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry. (state 14).

----- Original message -----

Received: by 10.70.39.5 with SMTP id m5mr1572646wxm.22.1212674757824;
Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:05:57 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <**********@gmail.com>
Received: from ?my ip? ( [my ip])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id i10sm3606367wxd.33.2008.06.05.07.05.55
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5);
Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:05:56 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <4847F2D4.5010107@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:06:12 -0400
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 (Windows/20080421)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: E-Mail Administrator <postmaster@mysubdomain.no-ip.org>
Subject: Re: Trying to figure out if this thing is working...
References: <1F798E64CE0@mysubodomain.no-ip.org>
In-Reply-To: <1F798E64CE0@mysubdomain.no-ip.org>
X-Enigmail-Version: 0.95.6
OpenPGP: id=*******
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Galdhrim

Postby Galdhrim » 07. June 2008 07:36

Solved, no need to reply to this.

sendmail (fakemail) sends to Mercury, and Mercury relays to my gmail account.

And it just took half morning, the whole afternoon, and 1 cigarrettes packet to setup it, including the free comodo certificate.
Galdhrim

Postby w4vy » 07. June 2008 15:15

Dude tell us how you did it then please, there's loads of us having this same problem (including me Sad ) Wink

w4vy
w4vy

Postby Galdhrim » 15. June 2008 21:05

w4vy wrote:Dude tell us how you did it then please, there's loads of us having this same problem (including me Sad ) Wink

w4vy

Sorry, I have been so busy I forgot to enter here to check...

I configured sendmail to send to Mercury, which is in my localhost:
(from sendmail.ini)

[sendmail]

; you must change mail.mydomain.com to your smtp server

smtp_server=localhost
smtp_port=25

I provided too the required authentication details to sendmail, and off course, I created the mail account needed.

On Mercury, I am using MercuryC SMTP Relay, and I configured it to rely using my gmail account. I provided the authentication and port info too, and instructed it to use SSL encryption via STARTTLS command.

And now it is working. I hope I have not fogotten vital info to make this work, now I don't remember much more, since it was a kind of "trial and error" way to configure this. I hope this can help, if not... sorry, it is the best I can do.

By the way, my ISP doesn't block ports, but also, it doesn't provide email accounts.
Galdhrim

Return to XAMPP for Windows