MySQL will not run on XPHome 2

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL will not run on XPHome 2

Postby Dee » 09. April 2008 16:25

Hi,

I cannot get MySQL to run on my Windows XP Home 2 machine. Apache and Filezilla are running okay.

I have checked my ports and all are free.

As suggested in an earlier post found on this forum I've retrieved the recommended new .dll from M$ and replaced the old one with the new.

I have turned off Windows Firewall and my Bitdefender firewall - made no difference. I've configured an exemption for the XAMPP in the Windows Firewall also, but left it turned off. Bitdefender when turned on, had no trouble in recognising Apache and allowing port access.

The SCM in the XAMPP Control Panel returns the following error:

"Could not start the MySQL service on Local Computer
Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified".

I installed XAMPP using the auto installation download.

I am a complete novice when it comes to servers, PHP and MySql. Help would be appreciated but please make the directions clear and simple or I will be in a total panic.

TIA
Dee

Postby ridgewood » 09. April 2008 23:06

Post up your my.cnf file and someone may be able to help... What is the full install path to MySQL on your computer? Also check your environmentals to see if there is any MySQL reference there...
ridgewood

Postby Dee » 10. April 2008 04:40

Thanks for the reply.

Ummm... I looked up .cnf in the MySQL manual but I'm at a loss to find it on my system and understand what the manual actually said. Sorry for the dumb questions but what are environmentals?

The install path on my computer is:

C:\Program Files\xampp\mysql

I need this stuff to use an Open Collections database.

TIA
Dee

Postby ridgewood » 10. April 2008 12:08

no dumb questions... sorry for the 'shorthand' answer.

In your start/computer/system properties/advanced tab there will be environment variables... in the system variables will be the 'Path'...

In your folder ' C:\Program Files\xampp\mysql\bin will be a file 'my.cnf' or if you have your windows explorer set to not show file extensions, it will show up as 'my' ...

The 'Path' should not have any reference to mysql (this is not always the case) and the my.cnf should reference your install path + /'var'

These are the 2 places to look first when there is a problem with mysql starting... the 3rd is the 'services' section to see if there was/is a service created for mysql ... it can be corrupted.

XAMPP should run on any win32 system without problems... sometimes using the 'install' method creates strange conflicts... if there are no port conflicts then all the win32 'quirks' need to be checked....does anyone else share the computer with you or was there a previous user? Do you have admin privileges on the computer?
ridgewood

Postby Dee » 10. April 2008 14:48

Now I know where to look for "Environmentals". Yeah!

No sign of any path reference in the environmentals. Only thing under just plain "Path" was an old HP printer that I thought I'd got rid of any extraneous leftovers when I uninstalled and cleaned up months ago.

Folder ' C:\Program Files\xampp\mysql\bin has the folder "my", but it will not open so I don't know if it has the install path variable. The pop-up descriptor says it's type is SpeedDial, but that is all I can discover.

MySQL does show up in the Services but there is no Description for it . If I try to start it from Services I receive the Error 3 message I posted above. Somehow the Path is stuffed up.

I am the sole user of this computer and it is not protected by an Admin logon. Anyone using it has full Admin privileges. Nobody else has ever used it and I keep it clean and well tuned up and tidy up the registry now and then.

Could the firewalls on Firefox and IE be causing any problems? I haven't created any exceptions there yet as I'm not sure of the URL to use. It doesn't give the option to browse for an exception via a path.

Thanks so much for your patience with me. I really appreciate your help.

Edit: Just noticed in my Services (Local) that I have two instances of Apache 2.2 showing. This might be the problem with the Path confusion error message. How can I fix this?

I will be away for a few days starting tomorrow (Aussie time), so please don't think I've given up on this thing if I don't reply immediately.
Last edited by Dee on 10. April 2008 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Dee

Postby Wiedmann » 10. April 2008 14:57

If I try to start it from Services I receive the Error 3 message I posted above. Somehow the Path is stuffed up.

Remove the old server with "sc delete mysql" and reregister the service with "mysql_installservice.bat" (\xampp\mysql)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Dee » 10. April 2008 15:47

Thanks Wiedman, but I haven't a clue how to do as you suggest. Could you step me through it please? Sorry to be such a dunce.
Dee

Postby Dee » 13. April 2008 12:07

Can anyone please help by clarifying Wiedman's suggestion?

I've had a look in my registry and there are a lot of files associated with Easy PHP which I thought I had uninstalled prior to installing XAMPP. Is it safe to just delete these from the registry or is this likely to get rid of shared files and stuff up something big time?
Dee

Postby ridgewood » 13. April 2008 16:41

Dee.. don't muck with your registry.

You need to run 'sc delete mysql' from a Command Prompt: start->accessories->Command Prompt ... and then run the .bat file by double clicking on it.
ridgewood

Postby Dee » 13. April 2008 18:20

Too late! Too late... She cried!

Thanks for that Ridgewood, but I did some Googling in desperation and found that I could just delete those EasyPHP files. So, after backing up, I did and all seems okay. Just lucky I guess. Didn't actually do it through a reg. edit. Not that brave.

Anyway, I suspected that I had to use a command prompt, but wasn't game until your confirmation. Have done as instructed and I have MySQL running, but in the admin under environment ->ODBC, I have the message: "Not Found. Driver 3.51 missing." So-o I guess I deleted a driver that had put itself in that other EasyPHP file and it has now gone.

In view of this, would it be best to uninstall XAMPP, clean up again and reinstall it?
Dee

Postby ridgewood » 13. April 2008 19:33

Under the principle of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' ...IMHO I would try to get my ODBC linkage working. In the future you may consider a 'non-installed' setup by just unpacking the self executing version and creating a shortcut to launch the servers (make sure you uninstall the services first or you will be back to the command line again ;)

Your issues now are really not within the scope of this forum (XAMPP is working correctly now) you need to do some searching on the MySQL or MS boards... if someone is passing by this thread, maybe they will stop by and help point you to some resources... You do do a pretty good 'damsel in distress' :P
ridgewood

Postby Dee » 14. April 2008 04:05

Many thanks for the patience and clear explanations Ridgewood. I shall do battle with ODBC elsewhere.
Dee

Postby Wiedmann » 14. April 2008 04:43

but in the admin under environment ->ODBC, I have the message: "Not Found. Driver 3.51 missing."

That's normal.

Of course: WinMySQLAdmin is a software which shouldn't be used.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows