PHP / setup question

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PHP / setup question

Postby lrobinson » 08. April 2008 15:55

I just installed xampp and the http://localhost worked fine. I got the xampp php page as expected. Now I have copied all of my files to the htdocs folder but instead of the browser opening my index.php it prompts: 'Do you want to save this file or find a program to open it?'

The file it is asking me to download is 'localhost' Why is this happening instead of it just reading the index.php? Can someone give me some info or point me to a link to help me sort this out

Thanks in advance!!
lrobinson

Postby lrobinson » 08. April 2008 18:34

I guess I should be more specific...

I have copied all of my website files as well as the database files from phpmyadmin from the server they are currently being hosted on. I plan to host these files on a different server in the near future. I was not the creator/designer of the site as it is currently setup. What I am trying to achieve is getting the site to run on my local machine with xampp so I will know what to do to when the time comes to host it on a new server.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
lrobinson

Postby Wiedmann » 08. April 2008 18:46

Maybe there is a wrong ".htaccess" in your "htdocs".
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby lrobinson » 08. April 2008 19:28

You were exactly right... the .htaccess file (which was pulled from the current hosting server) was the cause. I removed that file and the browser is atleast reading the page. On the downside, I am getting all kinds of warnings/errors now. I guess that's a start.

thanks for your help
lrobinson

Return to XAMPP for Windows