Followed XAMPP Install but Apache not working

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby HogHunter » 09. March 2008 17:55

Milligan wrote:Is this the general attitude of tired folks from Jacksonville, is it?

<Snipped >

So simple to do even for you when you discover how to use a forum's edit button, and I feel just great having this little spat with someone who is so inept.

So you are now classifying all people from Jacksonville on the basis of one person? That is either bigotry, foolishness or simple flame baiting. Either of these is not profitable or positive. Or are you trying to show off that you could find someone who hasn't tried to hide his identity like you have.

As for your claims about a delete function, I have an edit but no delete. I suppose I could delete the text of the message and I guess I should, since you have turned this posting for help into a flame war. It is you who has wasted so much time purposefully arguing with me. Even when I try to offer apologies and straighten things out, you continue to seek to stir things up. Unless you decide to be positive in your reply, I will not have anything further to say to you.

You might want to consider this: Of the 20 posts you currently have, only 8 could be cited as being without some sort of nasty comment. Why is that?

Again I am done with you unless you decide to except my apology and stop being nasty.
Thom Pantazi
HogHunter

Postby sds1az » 09. March 2008 19:19

I have to strongly agree, these inappropriate posts and behavior from Milligan are totally unacceptable and unprofessional and very poor etiquette. This isn't the first time that Milligan has made some inappropriate posts, here is a good example:

http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=116782&highlight=#116782

Telling that women NubbeFrost asking for assistance to go play with her dolls is just totally unacceptable and uncalled for along with this flame war he has started in this thread. I have also reported all of this to the representatives of Apache Friends.
sds1az

Postby Milligan » 10. March 2008 00:38

Last edited by Milligan on 17. July 2008 06:11, edited 5 times in total.
Milligan

have same problem - used http://127.0.01/ and works

Postby doctorriee » 10. March 2008 00:41

have same problem - used http://127.0.01/ and works

doc
doctorriee

Re: have same problem - used http://127.0.01/ and works

Postby HogHunter » 10. March 2008 01:38

doctorriee wrote:have same problem - used http://127.0.01/ and works

doc

Neither 127.0.0.1 nor localhost works.

I do have a couple log errors that may have something to do with it.

[error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Warning: require_once(SAM/php_sam.php) [<a href='function.require-once'>function.require-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in sam_factory on line 1
[error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required 'SAM/php_sam.php' (include_path='.;C:\\php5\\pear') in sam_factory on line 1
    Thom Pantazi
    HogHunter

Non Install

Postby ridgewood » 10. March 2008 03:17

You had mentioned that you had installed other versions of Apache before but I am not sure about PHP... in any case, often the problem is with the orphans in the registry or environmental settings. Rather than try to diagnose the XP system, I would suggest downloading the XAMPP zip file and unpacking it to either your desktop or to any directory and try to execute the setup_xamp.bat file.

XAMPP does not need to be installed... all paths will be set by the setup file...just make sure that on your old version that there are no services registered or sessions running... that will create other issues.

You can either use the .bat files to start each of the servers or the control. You can use the task manager to see how the processes are doing. It will also give you a fresh error log etc.
    ridgewood

Re: Non Install

Postby HogHunter » 10. March 2008 04:37

ridgewood wrote:You had mentioned that you had installed other versions of Apache before but I am not sure about PHP... in any case, often the problem is with the orphans in the registry or environmental settings. Rather than try to diagnose the XP system, I would suggest downloading the XAMPP zip file and unpacking it to either your desktop or to any directory and try to execute the setup_xamp.bat file.

XAMPP does not need to be installed... all paths will be set by the setup file...just make sure that on your old version that there are no services registered or sessions running... that will create other issues.

You can either use the .bat files to start each of the servers or the control. You can use the task manager to see how the processes are doing. It will also give you a fresh error log etc.

Ridgewood,

Thanks for your input, this is what I hoped to get when I came here.

I ran the setup_xampp.bat file and got a response that there was nothing to do. I stopped Apache service before running it. I think I need to tell you that the services 'say' they started. In fact, they have always reported that they are starting without issue. It is just that I cannot load any pages. The XAMPP control panel says all is good.

I have seen something weird though. When I look at my path, I see a bunch of entries that are not found in the environment variables screen on the my computer screen. I think they must be getting set from a registry setting or something.

The path I see when I am at a command prompt looks like this:

Code: Select all
    Path=C:\PHP\;T:\usr\Perl\site\bin;T:\usr\Perl\bin;T:\Perl\site\bin;T:\Perl\bin;C
    :\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\W
    INDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Support Tools\;C:\Program Files\ATI Techno
    logies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN;c:\
    Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
     Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\;C:\Pro
    gram Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Fi
    les\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\;C:\Program Files\Co
    mmon Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;X:\Pr
    ogram Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;T:\XAM
    PP\PHP;X:\adabas\bin;X:\adabas\pgm;t:\XAMPP\perl\bin

However, the path is see from the my computer environment variables screens looks like this:

Code: Select all
    T:\XAMPP\PHP;X:\adabas\bin;X:\adabas\pgm;t:\XAMPP\perl\bin

Again thanks for your help on this.
    Thom Pantazi
    HogHunter

Postby ridgewood » 10. March 2008 12:48

The setup.bat will report 'nothing to do' unless there is a change in the drive or directory name or both...

It looks like XAMPP is installed on 'T" ... is that a network drive or just a partition on your own box?

Given your path, there are a number of things that could collide... we need to take XAMPP out of that environment and see if it will reconfigure itself.

This is a work around for testing...

1. from the controller shut down Apache and MySQL (and FileZilla if you are running it too).

2. use the Svc box to uninstall all services.

3. exit the control (make sure that it is not running in the tray)

4. change the name of the directory that xampp is in (should be xampp but I won't make the assumption ;) to say xampp-x

5. run the setup.bat which should prompt for 'are you sure'... you may not be, but go ahead and do it anyway... you have nothing to loose at this point!

In a perfect world, it should cycle through and you should be able to launch the control and start the servers... DO NOT start any services.

If you can not rename the directory, it may be because something is still calling to it... good information... you may need to do a reboot but if after the reboot you can still not rename it ...check the control and see if any services are running... if none are running... make sure that none of the tools like the MySQL monitor are running in auto start.

The work around should get the servers going so that local host will bring up the XAMPP splash page.

I really need to encourage you to download a new zip version of xampp and go through the diagnostics with it... as I suggested before...it will save a whack of time because of all the potential conflicts that are caused with previous installs of not only xampp but other PHP, MySQL etc. that create registry entries...

But since I had to type all this out, let's try the work around first... and see what happens :lol:
    ridgewood

Postby HogHunter » 10. March 2008 14:55

ridgewood wrote:The setup.bat will report 'nothing to do' unless there is a change in the drive or directory name or both...

It looks like XAMPP is installed on 'T" ... is that a network drive or just a partition on your own box?

The T: drive is just a partition of my main drive. When I got a new drive I had to partition it in order to make a sector by sector copy of the original drive. I normally despise partitioned drives. However, I had to deal with the fact that I was going from a 250 gb to a 750 gb. Actually I was pleased with how well the seagate tool managed the upgrade process. I could have expanded the partition afterward, but decided not to for backup purposes.

ridgewood wrote:Given your path, there are a number of things that could collide... we need to take XAMPP out of that environment and see if it will reconfigure itself.

This is a work around for testing...

1. from the controller shut down Apache and MySQL (and FileZilla if you are running it too).

2. use the Svc box to uninstall all services.

3. exit the control (make sure that it is not running in the tray)

4. change the name of the directory that xampp is in (should be xampp but I won't make the assumption ;) to say xampp-x

5. run the setup.bat which should prompt for 'are you sure'... you may not be, but go ahead and do it anyway... you have nothing to loose at this point!

In a perfect world, it should cycle through and you should be able to launch the control and start the servers... DO NOT start any services.

If you can not rename the directory, it may be because something is still calling to it... good information... you may need to do a reboot but if after the reboot you can still not rename it ...check the control and see if any services are running... if none are running... make sure that none of the tools like the MySQL monitor are running in auto start.

The work around should get the servers going so that local host will bring up the XAMPP splash page.

The PC I was doing the work on is my home PC so I will try this out tonight when I get home. Thanks for the detailed list of steps. I will follow them carefully. I do appreciate your assistance, especially the amount of time and care you have taken. You are truly an encouragement.

ridgewood wrote:I really need to encourage you to download a new zip version of xampp and go through the diagnostics with it... as I suggested before...it will save a whack of time because of all the potential conflicts that are caused with previous installs of not only xampp but other PHP, MySQL etc. that create registry entries...

But since I had to type all this out, let's try the work around first... and see what happens :lol:

The XAMPP I was using was/is a fresh download. I downloaded the copy on Saturday. Are you suggesting there is something to be gained by getting another copy of the same thing? I am willing to entertain any logic at this point. Heck if downloading it over again is somehow a cure for the problem I would be delighted. Surprised, but delighted as well! :lol:
    Thom Pantazi
    HogHunter

Postby ridgewood » 10. March 2008 15:26

Hey, sorry I wasn't clearer... let me try again...
    Are you suggesting there is something to be gained by getting another copy of the same thing?

XAMPP does not need to be 'installed' it will run in its own environment... and doesn't need any path or registry entries... it is in fact 'portable'. The installer is a convenience that adds menu links and will put an entry into the enviornmentals and registry... when we set up a ZedFiles package for distribution http://www.zedfiles.com it is 'copied' to the host computer...not installed and we just include a shortcut that can be put on the quick launch or whatever...

So, I was suggesting that you download an archive or zipped version...the 'Self-extracting ZIP archive Economical: XAMPP as very small self-extracting 7-ZIP archive' is the easiest and simply extract it to your desktop... leave it there for now and open it up and run the setup.bat.... try the controller in non service setting, start Apache and MySql and see what happens... (remembering that you can not have any services from previous installs running...see list and do that drill).

Depending on what you have running... you may have to alternative port Apache and MySQL... you should run a port check too. If that is the case, go to the DTX section of the ZedFiles site and there is a alternative controller there along with instructions in the readme.

We build and distribute portable xampp test beds all the time... every once and a while there is an XP system with its own personality... hey, you may be one of the lucky ones :wink:
    ridgewood

Previous

Return to XAMPP for Windows