It looks fine but won't run

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

It looks fine but won't run

Postby rickproa » 22. February 2008 02:40

Hello,
I downloaded XAMPP for XP Pro (service pack 2) and can not get it working at all. The installation seemed to go fine and when I open the XAMPP Control Panel and click on the “Start” buttons for Apache and MySQL they both start up and give me the green bar. Then when I go to http://127.0.0.1/xampp/index.php I get the Welcome to XAMPP for Windows Version 1.6.5 page. I click on the “Status” link and go to the XAMPP Status page where MySQL Database, PHP, HTTPS (SSL), Common Gateway Interface (CGI), Server Side Includes (SSI), and SMTP Service are all “Activated” – FTP Service is the only function that is “Deactivated”. OK, so far so good.

When I click on “phpMyAdmin” link and go to the home page, I start having problems. First I checked on the “Storage Engine” link and the InnoDB Engine is grayed out along with the BerkeleyDB and several others.

When I use the interface to select any existing database and try to add one field to one of the tables, I get an error message that says…

“tbl_addfield.php missing parameter: numfields (FAQ 2.8)”.

And if I try to run any query in the “SQL tab” like “SELECT * FROM pma_bookmark;” I get an error page that says…

“import.php: Missing parameter: import_type (FAQ 2.8)”.
“import.php: Missing parameter: format (FAQ 2.8)”.

All the error messages refer to FAQ 2.8 which I have checked and when I go to the ini files the values are as the FAQ requires. The FAQ does mention “using Hardened PHP” but I have no idea what that is.

Could somebody me help me here? I figure that something is wrong with one of the ini files somewhere, but can’t figure this out. I really appreciate the help!
Cheers,
Rick
rickproa

Re: It looks fine but won't run

Postby Izzy » 23. February 2008 01:10

rickproa wrote:When I click on “phpMyAdmin” link and go to the home page, I start having problems. First I checked on the “Storage Engine” link and the InnoDB Engine is grayed out along with the BerkeleyDB and several others.

.\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf (or just my)
Drag the file into your text editor and the relevant sections are:
Code: Select all
# Uncomment the following if you are NOT using BDB tables
skip-bdb

skip-innodb
# Uncomment the following if you are using InnoDB tables
#innodb_data_home_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
#innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
#innodb_log_group_home_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
#innodb_log_arch_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
# You can set .._buffer_pool_size up to 50 - 80 %
# of RAM but beware of setting memory usage too high
#set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=16M
#set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=2M
# Set .._log_file_size to 25 % of buffer pool size
#set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=5M
#set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M
#innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1
#set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
Obviously you would comment out skip-innodb if that was the case.

rickproa wrote:When I use the interface to select any existing database and try to add one field to one of the tables, I get an error message that says…

“tbl_addfield.php missing parameter: numfields (FAQ 2.8)”.

And if I try to run any query in the “SQL tab” like “SELECT * FROM pma_bookmark;” I get an error page that says…

“import.php: Missing parameter: import_type (FAQ 2.8)”.
“import.php: Missing parameter: format (FAQ 2.8)”.

All the error messages refer to FAQ 2.8 which I have checked and when I go to the ini files the values are as the FAQ requires. The FAQ does mention “using Hardened PHP” but I have no idea what that is.

Could somebody me help me here? I figure that something is wrong with one of the ini files somewhere, but can’t figure this out. I really appreciate the help!
Cheers,
Rick
This can be dependent on which user you used to log in to phpMyAdmin
pma user is read only (do not set a 'contolpass' password for pma user)
root has full read and write access to MySQL and phpMyAdmin.
This from .\xampp\phpmyadmin\config-inc.php
Code: Select all
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser']   = 'pma';          // MySQL control user settings
                                                    // (this user must have read-only
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass']   = '';          // access to the "mysql/user"
                                                    // and "mysql/db" tables).
                                                    // The controluser is also
                                                    // used for all relational
                                                    // features (pmadb)

Logged in as user root using the XAMPP installation default settings in the config files will allow you to do pretty much everything with any XAMPP database using phpMyAdmin - XAMPP is designed and configured by default to run "Out of the Box".

(Forum Tip - if you don't want to see smilies in your quoted text, for instance when you included this FAQ 2.8, then tick the box next to Disable smilies in this post before submitting your post as 8 is the cool smiley - the Preview button will confirm the post is as you intended it to be).
Izzy

Postby rickproa » 24. February 2008 19:56

Thank you Izzy, this is very detailed and I appreciate the time you spent on this problem. I will start on this right away!
Cheers,
rick
rickproa

Postby rickproa » 01. March 2008 03:31

Hello Izzy and everyone else,
I went and worked on this configuration problem for some time and was unable to correct it. I googled "phpmyadmin+cookies must be enabled beyond this piont" and got an answer.

I'm running ZoneAlarm Pro and it doesn't like xammp (or similar stacks). When I turn off ZA, phpmyadmin and mysql work just fine. Turn it back on and I get nothing.

I guess that's why the configuration file looked OK. Hope this will help others!
Cheers,
Rick
rickproa

Re: It looks fine but won't run

Postby kingsley » 01. April 2012 05:13

I worked on this configuration problem as your method ,but it wonit run :?:
Last edited by Sharley on 01. April 2012 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This topic is now very old and things have changed - topic is closed so start a new topic
kingsley

Operating System: windows xp serverpack 3

Return to XAMPP for Windows