Launching Multiple Com Servers

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Launching Multiple Com Servers

Postby robertlankford » 11. February 2008 16:46

OK, I'm kind of all over the map here. Please be patient as I try to lay this down in a way that makes sense.

Situation:

We have a 'database' that we access using a com object (I believe it is compiled as a com server). I've got Xampp installed on Windows Server 2003. I can use PHP to instantiate the com object and make function calls to it. So far so good.

Trying to make a second call to the com object (on a second page request) causes a com exception. The point is, that I can only use the com object once.

Question:

I've read (or at least I *think* I've read) that Apache can launch PHP in one of two ways:

1) Keeps it in memory. This PHP footprint is shared between page calls.

2) Launches a new instance of the PHP engine for every page request handled by the server.

Is this right? If so, how can I tell how Xampp currently loads PHP? How can I change the way Xampp loads PHP?

----

Any and all information that anyone wants to pontificate on related to any of this is very appreciated! :D

Thanks!
robertlankford

Postby Scory » 11. February 2008 23:19

What you are looking for is the difference of running PHP in "module mode" versus running in "CGI Mode". Xampp usually runs in module mode.
Scory

Return to XAMPP for Windows