Can I Send Mail from localhost to Hotmail?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can I Send Mail from localhost to Hotmail?

Postby KallistaAEnvarou » 03. February 2008 07:53

OK, I would like to set up the mail() function so I can send email from localhost to Hotmail. Unfortunately, I'm getting the following error:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\xampp\htdocs\bidders2\signup.php on line 224

In my php.ini, I had:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = admin@bidders.co.za

Now, I'm using VirtualHosts, the URL for which doesn't exist. I want to be able to send from "localhost" or "local_bidders.co.za" since that Internet Explorer bug doesn't allow me to run my scripts if I use my virtualhost ServerAlias.

I then tried SMTP=local_bidders.co.za, but that didn't work either. Then I tried smtp.local_bidders.co.za, but I still got an error there.

Now, my virtualhosts aren't set up as a live server, obviously, and I don't plan to set them up that way. Will I not be able to set up email, or is there something else I must do to get emails set up properly?

Thanks.
KallistaAEnvarou

Postby caspian1 » 10. March 2008 14:38

You may want to post again to get an answer AND you may want to check with you isp to see if they have implemented port 25 blocking to combat spam operation on their network .

I am a n00b but cam across in another post. You might want to check into the port 25 issue with the ISP to avoid beating you head against the wall and trying solutions that you will never get to work. Good luck.
caspian1

Postby Wiedmann » 14. March 2008 11:00

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in C:\xampp\htdocs\bidders2\signup.php on line 224

You have a mailserver (like Mercury) running on your localhost?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows