Apache nor mysql will start.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache nor mysql will start.

Postby markusn00b » 08. January 2008 18:26

I had this problem before when i tried installing xampp on my new vista (why, oh why did i get vista..) Anyway, i did something which then allowed xampp to work. However, i uninstalled xampp (i forget why..) and upon reinstallation it doesn't work.

Everything installs fine; it even says so. I open the xampp control panel and attempt to start apache or mysql they will start, then after a second or so the 'Started' text disappears - if i highlight the text in that same area it reveals a hidden 'stopped'.

When i run apache_start i get the error:

"An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: unable to listen for connections on address 0.0.0.0:800
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs"

I've tried running the portcheck but it immediately comes up with "openports.exe has stopped working" - i also tried running it in administrator.

Thanks for any insight.
markusn00b

Postby Izzy » 08. January 2008 23:01

Where did you install XAMPP? - read the Vista Note top of this page:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

You have some other service running on the ports that XAMPP needs exclusively and/or you have installed XAMPP to a directory with a space in the name.

Usually this may be Skype or Microsoft's IIS - inetserv.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xam ... ml#nostart

I've tried running the portcheck but it immediately comes up with "openports.exe has stopped working" - i also tried running it in administrator.

This needs to be addressed as you must be able to run this to find out what ports are being used by what service.
(Try simply right clicking on the file and selecting to Run As Administrator).

You can also use netstat which you should be able to find out how in the Windows help or via Google.
Izzy

Postby markusn00b » 09. January 2008 00:34

I've ran netstat and it shows nothing is using port 80..

I installed xampp to C:\xampp

Incredibly annoying..
markusn00b

Return to XAMPP for Windows