Changing the Favicon

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Changing the Favicon

Postby zuurg » 02. January 2008 21:29

Hi,

I tried putting a 32 x 32 favicon.ico file into the htdocs folder, but whenever I load a page, it still displays the Xampp icon. How can I change this?

Thanks,

Anthony
zuurg

Postby Izzy » 03. January 2008 02:35

Search in your XAMPP installation for every instance of the favicon.ico file (there is more than one instance) and rename and/or replace them with your own - you may not have been replacing the right file.
Izzy

Postby zuurg » 03. January 2008 17:29

There are 3 instances of the file:

C:\xampp\htdocs
C:\xampp\phpMyAdmin
C:\xampp\phpMyAdmin\pmd\images

None of the icons listed look like the one that's actually being displayed when I browse my pages. The one that's displayed looks like the one for Xampp Control Panel.

I've searched the entire drive.
zuurg

Postby Izzy » 04. January 2008 02:09

If you are trying to change the fav icon that the XAMPP pages use then overwriting the favicon.ico file will not work as they use a different icon file in their own pages to help differentiate your own files from the XAMPP files.

If you want to use your own fav icon file then you have to add the link to it in the <HEAD> section of your own pages - for example:
<link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="youricolocation/favicon.ico">

or if you have placed your own index file in the htdocs directory, after deleting or renaming the XAMPP index file, and you have changed the favicon.ico file to your own then all you need to do is add this to the <HEAD> section of your own index file:
<link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="favicon.ico">

If you have placed your own files in a sub directory of the htdocs directory then your link might look like this:
<link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="subdirectory/favicon.ico">

An example head section containing a favico.ico link may look like this:
Code: Select all
<html>
<head>
<title>Title here</title>
<meta name="description" content="Description here">
<meta name="keywords" content="keywords here">
<link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="favicon.ico">
</head>
<body>
Content Here
</body>
</html>

The link can be relative or absolute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon
Izzy

Postby zuurg » 04. January 2008 22:39

It isn't for one of the pages that come with xampp - it's for a page that I built and parked in the htdocs folder. I've tried both methods - by replacing the favicon.ico file in the htdocs folder, and I've tried with the method you listed.

Both results yield the same result - the icon that shows up is the xampp icon both ways.
zuurg

Postby damien4482 » 19. January 2008 23:41

once you change your favicon you may find that clearing your browser history will fix the fault it did for me
damien4482

Return to XAMPP for Windows