Web Print Server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Web Print Server

Postby mthompson » 21. November 2007 20:07

I'm working on setting up a print sever that uses a web server as the means of serving print jobs to remote devices.

The trouble is I have virtually no experience with web servers or Apache in general plus I'm working from the client side and that makes it even more challenging. Thus I have a number of questions that I need to relay to my contact at the server side.

If I do not need a domain name can a web server be live using only the IP assigned by our ISP?

Do I need to register anything?

I'll need a servlet as well. I've heard Tomcat mentioned a few times.

The web server is behind a router, so is the server IP need to be the LAN or WAN IP?

I might have more questions as I go but this will get me started

TIA. Mark
mthompson

Re: Web Print Server

Postby Scory » 22. November 2007 23:11

mthompson wrote:If I do not need a domain name can a web server be live using only the IP assigned by our ISP?

Yes, you can simply use the IP.

mthompson wrote:Do I need to register anything?

What do you mean by that? Register where and what?

mthompson wrote:I'll need a servlet as well. I've heard Tomcat mentioned a few times.

What do you mean by "servlet"? Tomcat is standalone webserver which provides a JSP Interpreter (JPS = Java Server Pages). Thats a language developed by Sun.

mthompson wrote:The web server is behind a router, so is the server IP need to be the LAN or WAN IP?

If you want to reach the server from "outside", you need to use the WAN IP.

You must configure the router to pass requests coming on Port 80 (which is the standard port for HTTP) to the server with the LAN IP.

Greets
Scory
Scory

Return to XAMPP for Windows