MySQL 'timing out'

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL 'timing out'

Postby johnmi » 02. November 2007 15:11

I am using XAMPP for Windows 1.6.4 with MySQL 5.0.45.

I have included a forum and a blog (for experience) and am trying to create a MySQL database to replace one running in Alpha5. I've dumped out the data as CSV files, run them through a program called CSV2SQL to produce SQL import files and am importing into a MyISAM database using phpMyAdmin.

This is the first file called authors, 2 fields authorno smallint(4) and author varchar(75). I have 2 indices - primary on authorno and unique on author.

ran the import several times, stopped by errors in data. Each time corrrected the error and removed the data already added. Got to 519 items in the table.

But now when I run it, it times out at 300 secs apparently 'waiting for localhost'. At first it was a complete transaction - no data added. I removed the transaction, making it individual lines. Same result - times out and does not add any data!

checking and repairing table - fine but no difference.

Can anybody suggest anything?

p.s. I used to be a programmer but am a tyro with MySQL and Apache

The only other thing is I have recently upgraded from xampp vn 1.5. Thanks to help from this forum, I exported my data, copied my htdocs directory, installed new 1.6.4 and imported the data back, after copying my htdocs directory. No real problems. Could this have any bearing on problem?

Thanks

I should have added: Windows XP IBM Intellistation with 2 x 599 Mhz and 256 Mb RAM (virtual 768)
johnmi

Postby Izzy » 03. November 2007 01:43

It sounds like you may have an sql compatibility issue.

When importing the sql file, experiment with the SQL compatibility mode under the heading Format of imported file in phpMyAdmin.

There is also a Partial import section that may be selected by default and de-selecting it can be tried or the alternate if it is not selected.
Number of records(queries) to skip from start is used if you have a partial import and to skip those already imported.

Also worth looking at and again possibly experimenting with the settings, is the mySQL configuration file in xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf file or it may be just called my and look like a shortcut, but I mainly suspect a compatibility issue.

Make a backup first of configuration files before editing and restart the servers after editing for the edits to be recognized.

===========================================
1. The new DeskTopXampp launch control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Make Richer Ajax Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
Izzy

Postby johnmi » 03. November 2007 13:26

Tried all variations of SQL compatibility mode with no differance.

I had already experimented with Partial import section.

No of records to skip - didn't use, just deleted records imported so far.

Will try playing with xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf. Getting very depressed.

import was working fine then suddenly this problem.

added: looked at xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf (actually is just my.

Std used for small systems - couldn't find any items which looked hopeful, unhashed safe-updates.

any other?

I am thinking of installing xampp (original download) on another machine and just work with this database. At least it will eliminate possible corruption from the xampp update I did and mean minimum data in MySQL. Also, the machine I'm using at present is twin processor but they are only 599's with 256 memory. The other machine is a duron 1200 (about 950mhz) but with twice the memory.

What do you think?
johnmi

Postby Izzy » 03. November 2007 13:50

Just spotted this but have not tried it:

BigDump: Staggered MySQL Dump Importer

Staggered import of large and very large MySQL Dumps (like phpMyAdmin 2.x Dumps) even through the web servers with hard runtime limit and those in safe mode. The script executes only a small part of the huge dump and restarts itself. The next session starts where the last was stopped.

http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

I downloaded the zip and it contains a php file that you obviously have to run through the server.

If you test it out please post back how it performs, I am curious. :)

1. The new DeskTopXampp launch control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Build Richer AJAX Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
Izzy

Postby johnmi » 03. November 2007 14:39

I downloaded bigdump and started to edit it to introduce the specifics for the table. Then, for some mad reason, I emptied the table re-generated the sql file as before, manually checked the errors I remembered and imported it.

There were half a dozen other errors occuring after the point I got stuck on but once they were found and corrected (I emptied the table each time and re-ran the complete import) The data imported successfully!!! 1058 items

:D

I don't know what was happening before but it worked fine now.

(I forgot the old programming adage (not read the **** manual) but clear down and restart from scratch!

Thanks for your help
johnmi

Return to XAMPP for Windows