problems with php and apache

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

problems with php and apache

Postby pwm » 01. November 2007 21:42

sir/madam,

I have set up XAMPP on my Vista Home Premium laptop. Got rid of virus-scanners, skype, other stuff that might block the server. Now, however, php is not being shown properly. When I visit localhost, the XAMPP page is shown, but with PHP code all over the place. Examples are cluttered with php code, I cannot login in PHPmyadmin etc.

Maybe this has something to do that in the past I have had different servers on the system. Those were Coldfusion and IIS. I made sure that they were removed before installing XAMPP.
Furthermore, once I have tried to install Apache (without XAMPP). This failed due to an error. I don't know what was going on, but after it I tried XAMPP.

I hope you guys can help,

thanks
pwm

Postby LooseCannon » 02. November 2007 10:58

Hello and welcome pwm.

I'd guess this isn't the fault of virus scanners, firewalls, messengers or other such services.

I believe XAMPP installs and configures everything one needs to run Apache and MySQL, which is why it's so very useful. Installing Apache alone can be a challenge.

Maybe uninstall and re-install XAMPP? It doesn't take long. BACKUP any web site specific data beforehand of course.

The code splashed on the screen is probably error messages, propably due to a faulty installation of XAMPP. Would you please copy them here?
LooseCannon

Postby pwm » 04. November 2007 12:31

Thanks for the advice.

However, I am running both Vista and OpenSuse on my machine and decided to install XAMPP on OpenSuse. Everything is OK under linux. I decided to keep it that way, so I uninstalled XAMPP under vista.
The only problem I have under Linux is that I do not have priviliges to make db's in myPhPadmin. It's sort of weird. Everything works, except that it says that I cannot make databases.

I hope you guys can help.

Thanks!
pwm

Now a MySQL issue?

Postby LooseCannon » 06. November 2007 12:50

My pleasure pwm. :)

This "priviliges to make db's in myPhPadmin" is a new issue that's arisen since you're first post above? So, we've moved on? I'll assume that is the case. I'll also assume you mean phpMyAdmin, just to be sure. :P

This seems to be a MySQL issue and as such, my knowledge/experience is very limited. It is MySQL access/privileges that determine if a user may create a database, or for that matter, insert/drop/alter etc.

Are you getting into phpMyAdmin as root?

If so, you _should_ have all 'global' privileges, including CREATE. As root, we could probably give root back the ability to create.

EDIT: I've found http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/index.html very useful. That's _not_ an FTFQ... ;)
LooseCannon

Return to XAMPP for Windows