XAMPP is suddenly performing slow after upgrade

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP is suddenly performing slow after upgrade

Postby simsim » 24. October 2007 19:33

Hello all,

I've upgraded XAMPP from a previous version using the executable installer. Although the installation process didn't halt or generate any errors, I've noticed two things:

1) There are now two instances of apache.exe processes in the Task Manager. One file is approx. 20 MB and the other approx. 28 MB. So is this normal or some duplicated files might have occurred?

2) PHP scripts are now performing ery slowly on my localhost. Even new fresh installations of good software like vBulletin, WordPress, etc., pages still take few seconds to load. Previous loading time on my localhost was almost instant.

Any help in resolving these issues is much appreciated.
simsim

Postby Izzy » 24. October 2007 21:12

1) There are now two instances of apache.exe processes in the Task Manager. One file is approx. 20 MB and the other approx. 28 MB. So is this normal or some duplicated files might have occurred?

Thats is not an issue as it is quite normal and is how it is designed to operate.
This question has been asked and answered many times, the most recent was only yesterday:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=26962

http://www.graphic-forums.com/archive/i ... -4664.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=two+inst ... he+running

2) PHP scripts are now performing ery slowly on my localhost. Even new fresh installations of good software like vBulletin, WordPress, etc., pages still take few seconds to load. Previous loading time on my localhost was almost instant.

Other forum members have also reported this behavior and found it was related to their background anti-virus scanning software.
The most recent of these post was only 2 days ago:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopi ... 462#109462

If you have an AV scanner running then try and disable it temporarily to test this theory.
HTH

===========================================
1. The new DeskTopXampp launch control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Make Richer Ajax Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
Izzy

Postby simsim » 29. October 2007 19:54

Thank you so much for the detailed post, Izzy.

If you have an AV scanner running then try and disable it temporarily to test this theory.

Yes, I have AVG Free Edition installed, however, disabling it doesn't seem to resolve the problem. I tried closing, disabling & killing its processes but I've noticed no performance boost with XAMPP in response to that.

Could it be bad XAMPP configurations? Is running MySQL as a service better or as a console? And what about php.ini?

Thanks in advance...
simsim

Postby Izzy » 30. October 2007 00:58

Could it be bad XAMPP configurations? Is running MySQL as a service better or as a console? And what about php.ini?

1. Did you make any changes in the configuration files and if so what did you change?

2. I start and stop MySQL and Apache manually when I need it by using the Control Panel and don't use it as a service nor do I use it 'as a console'.

For me that is often quicker and I obviously have more control starting and stopping than if it was loaded when my computer boots - I don't always need a server running all the time but if I did then I would start the components as a service.

This should not effect your access speed issue only in that when you start Apache and MySQL there is a very slight delay until they are up and running which is not evident once they are running and on localhost, access is usually instant in an 'out of the box' XAMPP installation - I also have WordPress installed and I also have had vBulletin installed and experienced no delays as you seem to have.

3. What about the php.ini file?

If your scripts are making huge amounts of access calls to the MySQL database, then there may be some latency but usually most scripts like those you have mentioned don't usually put a noticeable strain on things unless there are huge amounts of data to sift through as in a large blog or forum with huge volumes of members accessing and/or searching at the same time - time to use a dedicated server if this situation ever arises.

Have you looked in the System Event Log, just after you have tried to access with this mentioned delay, for any clues?
Under Start\Administrator Tools\Event Viewer - Application and/or System Records

Any entries in the Apache log files that might give clues?
xampp\apache\logs

Any clues in the xampp\mysql\data\[yourcomputerusername].err log file?
(drag it into your text editor or associate the file with your text editor to read it).

1. The new DeskTopXampp launch control for XAMPP / XAMPPlite
Posted by Ridgewood available from Ridgewood'sDTX web site

2. Make Richer Ajax Applications - Faster
TIBCO General Interface Pro Edition but FREE and Open Source
Fully working with NO donations required to get a user/password
Izzy

Postby simsim » 20. November 2007 14:05

Hello,

I don't know how that is related, but it proved to be a CPU over-heating problems that caused XAMPP to perform slower than usual. The over-heating problems were fixed & XAMPP performance boosted up to its normal.

Thanks so much Izzy for your dedicated support.
simsim

Return to XAMPP for Windows