help upgrading active xampp on windows XP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

help upgrading active xampp on windows XP

Postby johnmi » 19. October 2007 14:57

I am running xampp 1.5.4 on windows xp and would like to upgrade to latest vn.

previously I just deleted old and installed new but am now actively developing forum, blog and mysql databases and don't want to wreck them.

when I download an update - it only appears to update 1.6.4 from 1.6.3

and the instructions seem to assume a new installation rather than an upgrade.

Can anybody help?
johnmi

Postby Izzy » 19. October 2007 23:16

Not an easy task IMHO.

But there may be a way other than backing up/copying the files and configuration edits you want to keep.

Thankfully, there is an archive of all versions including the upgrade files past and present here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=89552

You may be able to travel up the versions using the archived upgrades until you finally arrive at the lastest version.

Sounds messy but might work for you rather than the even messier alternatives.

Before you start this just make a copy of your whole xampp directory
(usually by dragging it holding down the Ctrl key)
so that if the upgrading goes belly up you only have to rename the copy back to xampp and you are back to where you started. :)

Remember that when there has been changes to the server's configuration files in new versions then it usually involves uninstalling the out of date versions and installing the new version afresh but this will be seen in the upgrade notes if it applies.

So it would be no use making a back up of those server configuration files to copy them over the newer versions but from your backups you can edit the new version conf files to add the changes you made in the older version - can you follow that as it is an important point when having to install again.
HTH and good luck with it.

===========================================
Take a look at the new DeskTopXampp launch control for XAMPP
and XAMPPlite (DTX.exe) posted by ridgewood:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopi ... 967#103967
Available at Ridgewood's new DTX web site http://zedfiles.com/DTX/
Also available here: http://nat32.com/dtx/
I highly recommend DTX.
============================================
Izzy

Postby ldivinag » 20. October 2007 09:54

ditto izzy here...

xampp has customized the way php is installed, from the basic manual install of php by itself.

i have comtemplated what izzy's method of backing up the entire xampp directory.

also, do a db backup too, just in case you blow up the mysql too. use the MYSQLDUMP util.

then install the new version of xampp, and the compare the CONF files, if you heavily edited them.

then shutdown the mysql service. if using MYISAM tables, you can just copy the subdirectory over and the data should copy fine.

otherwise, the mysqldump shoulda made all the needed SQL INSERT statements and just do a massive import.

of course your HTDOCS shoulda been backed up too... right?
leo d.
ldivinag

Postby johnmi » 20. October 2007 13:27

Thanks fellers.

to Idivinag : if I understand you correctly, you suggest backup entire xampp. HTDOCS backup and mysqldump mysql, install LATEST version (don't upgrade), replicate changes to config files, import the mysql files with sql inserts and replace HTDOCS.

Sounds shorter than doing every update, I'll give it a try.

It'll be in a couple of days and I'll report back.

wish me luck!
johnmi

Postby Codesmith » 20. October 2007 17:16

As mentioned, just setup the new server and move your content, recreate the database and edit the config files.

Some tips...

Use the zip version of XAMPP, it makes it easy to install multiple versions, change locations ....

Use phpmyadmin to export your databases from the old and recreate them on the new.

Use WinMerge to compare the old configuration files to new configuration files and make the necessary changes. (Good time to add your personal comments explaining the motivation for each setting change).

All differences will be highlighted for your convenience.

Obviously backup the old server and keep it until you are 100% sure there was not issues with the upgrade.

You can get away with skipping these steps most of the time, but being careful pays off in the long run.
Codesmith

Postby johnmi » 20. October 2007 19:46

Thanks Codesmith, I'll bear that in mind.
johnmi

Postby johnmi » 24. October 2007 08:51

followed your advice.

exported mysql d/bases using phpmyadmin. shut down and renamed my xampp folder. unzipped the latest full version into the original named location. compared the old and new apache config files.

ran the browser and new version up and running. imported mysql dump - had problems because I'd exported my own d/bases and some of xampp's as well. Naturally the import failed as it tried to create d/bases which already existed. Edited the import sql file and got them all back ok.

changed the password for root on mysql using phpmyadmin - more problems! when I restarted everything, phpmyadmin could no longer log in to mysql! after trying to reset the password using phpmysql, I finally realise, dug into the phpmysql config file and entered the new password there.

All now ok and running fine. Many thanks to you both.

over and out :D
johnmi

Return to XAMPP for Windows