XAMPP 1.6.4 PROBLEMS

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 1.6.4 PROBLEMS

Postby pja » 10. October 2007 03:20

Foolishly I have just installed Ver. 1/6/4 and am having nothing but problems. I have Windows XP SP-2 with ZoneAlarm (which might be part of the problem).

I install XAMPP and all is fine. Then I "FIX" the security problems and all my problems start.

It has taken several re-installs to be able to get the logon to MyPHPAdmin to actually work - very frustrating. But once it does work:
    I can create a new database but can't delete it.
    I can't drop the database - query empty error message
    I can't create a new user

In this state, XAMPP is unusable. Any thoughts please?

Regards,
Peter
pja

RE: XAMPP 1.6.4 PROBLEMS

Postby pja » 10. October 2007 03:30

Ignore my previous post. I have experimented further with ZoneAlarm and now turned OFF both Cookie control and Ad Blocking and everything now works fine. Bloody useless software. Does anyone have a recommendation about a better firewall?

Regards,
Peter
pja

Re: RE: XAMPP 1.6.4 PROBLEMS

Postby Izzy » 10. October 2007 05:43

pja wrote:...ZoneAlarm...Bloody useless software. Does anyone have a recommendation about a better firewall?

Try Comodo Firewall it's free and would appear to have been thoroughly tested by it's security conscious developers.
Comodo Firewall
Unfortunately, most firewalls leak. But Comodo Firewall has passed all known leak tests to ensure the integrity of data entering and exiting your system. Comodo has put their firewall through all kinds of tough tests to ensure their firewall is strong enough to prevent such attacks right out of the box.

Or do the research:
http://www.google.com/search?q=free+firewall+reviews
HTH
Izzy

RE: XAMPP 1.6.4 PROBLEMS

Postby pja » 11. October 2007 07:46

Thanks for the recommendation of Comodo. I have done some Googling this afternoon and seems like many others agree with you. I plan to give Comodo and Sunbelt (ne. Kerio) a test and see which one is the best.

I have Sunbelt going at present and the original problem went as soon as I un-installed ZoneAlarm.

Regards,
Peter :wink: :D
pja

Return to XAMPP for Windows