Repackaging XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Repackaging XAMPP

Postby cjennings » 20. August 2007 15:51

I am researching a project and was wondering if it is possible to build a web app in XAMPP Lite (as I only need PHP and MYSQL) and repackaging XAMPP LITE for distribution with my PHP code and MYSQL databases built in.

Ideally there would be minimal setup for end users. Is this possible/allowed?
cjennings

Open Source

Postby ridgewood » 23. August 2007 00:21

XAMPP is Open Source, so that is possible. It would be nice for you to give credit where credit is due... these folks work really hard to make it as solid as it is.

We are working on a parallel type of project... using 'web apps' on the desktop. [see the Double installation of XAMPP on the same machine post] to get the URL for the launcher.

IMHO...my only 'advice' is to keep XAMPP lite intact rather than trying to 'pare it down'...it isn't REALLY that big by todays standards and if someone runs into trouble, people can help problem solve, if everything down to the line numbers are intact. The consistency of the XAMPPS's framework is one of its strengths.
ridgewood

Postby cjennings » 23. August 2007 01:31

When I said repackage, I meant add my php/mysql to it so when it is run the php/mysql are already there after an "install", not cut out parts. This isn't a commercial project,but It should get a fairly good distribution if I do it. I would be sure to give credit were credit is do.
cjennings

Got it

Postby ridgewood » 23. August 2007 09:59

We have been redistributing XAMPP with 8 or so, pre-configured PHP/MySQL CMS packages, for the almost four years... we are evaluating different WAMP stacks with CMS type apps all the time... sorry, I got the 'repackage' part wrong... too many late nights lately :oops:
ridgewood

Return to XAMPP for Windows