Newbie problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Newbie problem

Postby jbradley » 18. July 2007 17:31

I have just downloaded and installed xampp (for the first time) on a Windows XP machine and seemed to have started it successfully. When I try to invoke it by giving my browser the URL http://localhost I get the message as a windows popup box:

Apache HTTP Server has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience...
When I "click here" for more information I see:

Error signature:
AppName: apache.exe
AppVer: 2.2.4.0
ModName: php5ts.dll
ModVer: 5.2.2.2
Offset: 00099a9d

I should mention that I had been trying to test out a precreated PHP application (refbase) by installing Apache and PHP first myself on my machine (I already had mySQL). When this failed, I was trying xampp as a 2nd attempt.

Many thanks for your help, in advance.
jbradley

Re: Newbie problem

Postby Eric Pement » 21. July 2007 03:40

jbradley wrote:I have just downloaded and installed xampp (for the first time) on a Windows XP machine and seemed to have started it successfully. When I try to invoke it by giving my browser the URL http://localhost I get the message as a windows popup box:

Apache HTTP Server has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience...
When I "click here" for more information I see:

Error signature:
AppName: apache.exe
AppVer: 2.2.4.0
ModName: php5ts.dll
ModVer: 5.2.2.2
Offset: 00099a9d

I should mention that I had been trying to test out a precreated PHP application (refbase) by installing Apache and PHP first myself on my machine (I already had mySQL). When this failed, I was trying xampp as a 2nd attempt.

So you are saying you already had a copy of Apache web server installed at another location, and now by installing XAMPP you are installing a second instance of Apache (which is the "A" in XAMPP). Doesn't it seem likely that there would be a conflict?

Hate to suggest the obvious, but I would un-install Apache, PHP, and XAMPP, and then re-install XAMPP. I would expect problems with two instances of Apache and maybe with 2 instances of PHP also.
Eric Pement - pemente [at] northpark [dot] edu
Eric Pement

Return to XAMPP for Windows