Speeds on local network? Fast at first

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Speeds on local network? Fast at first

Postby shedt » 30. May 2007 20:19

Hello! Awesome software. I'm running a PHPBB forum (integramod.com) with xampp.

It works great. I have it working over a network at work, and the only problem I am having is that after about 10 minutes it gets slow for other computer users. On my PC it is still super fast. I'm not sure if this is because I am running some programs. We are trying to de-bug it so to speak and find out if it is becuase I am working on this PC, outlook, firefox etc.

I found when anti-virus software was running it was slow locally.

Can anyone offer some suggestions? I think we are going to just leave this computer running xampp and I will not work on it, but I am worried that even if we do that it might get slow again.

Thank you for any help!
shedt

Postby shedt » 01. June 2007 14:15

Would changing the port help?
shedt

Postby shedt » 01. June 2007 15:06

I bumped all the memory settings in the php.ini file from 16megs to 64. The reason is because I have some regular html files that seem to load fast on the other computers.

So far it seems to be working much better.
shedt

Postby shedt » 01. June 2007 15:21

Well it got slow again, but only after I did a database backup in PHPBB. I restarted apache and mysql from the XAMPP control panel and it's fast again for the other user. Again, the regular html files are fine but the PHPBB ones (which are stored in the mysql database) are not. I will try increase the memory to mysql i guess.
shedt

Postby shedt » 01. June 2007 15:28

If it matters, everything is super fast on localhost.

Any suggestions?
shedt

Postby Sean-Michael » 03. June 2007 19:33

I would take a look into the task manager to see if something is working overtime when the issue is present... I took a quick look threw your forum and did a quick search, at this time everything seems to be fine to me.

Maybe you fixed it :?:
Sean-Michael

Postby Codesmith » 05. June 2007 18:50

Do you know a lot about php, apache, mysql optimization?

If not I suggest finding a good book with a short chapter on optimization and skip through it stopping to read the section that deal with your situation. Which would probably be about 4-6 pages.

This isn't something that is easily done via a forum.

Some tips anyway

Use task manager to monitor the Processes, CPU & RAM & network utilization.

Make sure your av software, disc defragmenter, file indexing service, automatic updates is to blame.

Increase memory_limit and you have to decrease the MaxClients, there is only so much physical ram to go around.
Codesmith

Postby shedt » 13. June 2007 19:47

I think it's the cpu. seems to max out when more then two people are clicking links. What I am doing seems to have 3 php pages generated in one. Locally it's snappy fast. It's fast when I check my co-workers computer (because I'm not doing anything)

We are going to try and move it to another computer.

It's slow right now as I tried increasing the memory to apache through config.sys.
shedt

Postby Codesmith » 13. June 2007 20:16

If I were in your situation I would setup a simple linux server.

A WAMPP server isn't particularly efficent on dedicated Windows Server, so running it on someone's workstation can't be good.

I would use CentOS (Red Hat Enterprise Server, with the Red Hat trademark removed from all files so you can legally use it for free) and the linux version of XAMPP.

I have setup linux server in the past just for fun, and it wasn't hard at all.

Since I am clueless about Linux security I would fully expect to get hacked, and XAMPP isn't particularly recommended for secure server deployment.

But if the server was for an internal use only, and I was 100% confident that the firewall was set to deny all external access to the machine (not hard to do at all), it wouldn't be an issue.
Codesmith

Postby shedt » 13. June 2007 21:55

http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=24923

doing this seems to have helped quite abit. We will be moving it onto it's own computer soon, but so far it seems to be ok. My co-worker had a program that would refresh some pages like every 5 seconds and i was trying on another computer at the same time and it seems to have helped. Editing the memory via config.sys at first seemed like it messed it up, but everything seems cool so far. I can't wait to set it up on it's own computer and tweak it abit.

Question, security is not a problem, so would any of you recommend turning some things on?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I read something about turning of perl_mod or module? I want to try turning different things on and off to see if there is any difference.

I have to say I love this, learning more about PHP and Apache. It really rocks.

P.S. I was thinking about putting it on an Xbox running linux via xampp, but I would be interested in trying just regular apache and such.

Gentoox i believe he runs his servers off his Xbox 1.
shedt

Return to XAMPP for Windows