DNS Settings

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

DNS Settings

Postby MicroX » 25. May 2007 15:33

I have my XAMPP for Windows server up and running threw my ip but now i would like to set my domain to point to the server. If I'm doing this right all i need to do is point my domain to the dns setting of my server? Where can i find the dns setting? In my linksys router i see:
Static DNS 1: 0. 0. 0. 0
Static DNS 2: 0 .0 .0 .0
Static DNS 3: 0 .0 .0 .0
WINS: 0 .0 .0 .0

Thanks,
Micro
MicroX

DNS

Postby Snoopy.pa30 » 29. May 2007 14:25

MicroX,

What type of isp connection do you have?
DSL or Cable?

Is your IP dynamic (DSL) or static (cable)?

If you have a dynamic (changes) IP you will need to use a service like Dynamic DNS or NO-IP to create a domain name for your public IP address. The service then keeps watch on your dynamic IP address and updates the public IP when it changes, so people can connect to your system.

If you have a static IP, you should be able to directly reference it.

i.e. if your public IP address is 123.222.101.78 then people should be able to connect to your Apache by typing in http://123.222.101.78 into their web browser.

Hope this helps.
Snoopy

"Still trying to shoot down that Red Baron"
Snoopy.pa30

Postby MicroX » 30. May 2007 13:01

Thanks for the reply Snoopy.pa30, i have everything setup you can view it threw my ip.
I pointed my domain to my ip so everything works fine now for that domain but I do have more then one domain that i would like to use but i don't know how to set up the server to resolve correctly so the domains wont point to the same directory.
Any help or links i could read up on this would be much helpful.
Thanks, MicroX
MicroX

Domains

Postby Snoopy.pa30 » 30. May 2007 15:50

MicroX,

Glad you have it working.

I have no real experience with Domains, or hosting multiple domains - YET.

I will have to watch this thread, and hopefully the activity here will help someone spot it and contribute for both of our benefit.
Snoopy

"Still trying to shoot down that Red Baron"
Snoopy.pa30

Return to XAMPP for Windows