5 Apache processes running?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

5 Apache processes running?

Postby anuragji » 02. May 2007 21:08

Hey there,

I've got a [to me] puzzeling situation, that I hope somebody may be able to shed a little light on it.

I do a little bit of PHP programming so always have Apache, PHP and MySQL (+ the usual suspects) installed. I just set up a new computer and thought, for convenience's sake to try out the XAMPP installation. I downloaded and installed XAMP 1.6.1 using the installer file.

Now it all worked out great, however, I just noticed in the task manager that I have a total of 4 separate processes of Apache running, taking up quite some memory.

With my previous [manual] installations I only noticed one. When I check the services I have the entry of Apache 2 with the description of :

Apache/2.2.4. (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/ 0.9.8e mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.1

Are those the four processes ? Do I have to have them all at once ?

I don't think I'll be doing anything (locally) that involves SSL ...

Anurag

PS: I must also admit that my knowledge of actual Apache terms is very rudimentary.

[/img]
anuragji

Postby anuragji » 03. May 2007 22:05

I found the reason for at least one of the processes: I am trying out the Nvidia Forceware Firewall which uses an Apache installation.

That leaves me with at least two unaccounted ones ;)

I'll keep looking...

Anurag
anuragji

Postby anuragji » 03. May 2007 22:14

After researching a little bit more it seems that running the Nvidia Forceware Firewall results in running two Apache processes.

Anurag
anuragji

Return to XAMPP for Windows