How to Fix XAMMPP 1.6.0a apache service problems.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to Fix XAMMPP 1.6.0a apache service problems.

Postby Codesmith » 06. April 2007 21:37

PROBLEM:

You install XAMPP 1.6.0a Win32 with Apache as a service.
You load XAMPP control panel, it shows Apache is not installed as a service!
The service check box next to apache will not work as expected.

NOTE: I am not sure if everyone is having this problem, but it happened for me on three different machines.

Also if you have an apache2 service from a previous installation this might trick you into thinking the control panel is working properly.

run->services.msc and you might see an apache2 and an apache2.2

CAUSE:
When you install Apache 2.2.4 as a service its service name is Apache2.2, but XAMPP Control Pannel is trying to detect Apache2.

apache_installservice.bat
apache_uninstallservice.bat

also make the same mistake, attempting to net start/stop a non-existent apache2 service.

WORKAROUND1: Make no attempt to install Apache as a service.

WORKAROUND2: Change the apache service name to apache2 using RegEdit.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

rename "Apache2.2" to "Apache2" then open it and change "DisplayName" to "Apache2"

REBOOT

XAMPP control panel now recognizes the Apache service. :)

REMOVING THE SERVICE:

run->net stop apache 2 (first if service is running)
run-> sc delete apache2 (remove the service)

REAL SOLUTION: Change all references to the apache service in XAMPP 1.6.0a from Apache2 to Apache2.2.
Codesmith

Postby Codesmith » 10. April 2007 20:29

No replies?

Am I the only one with this problem?
Codesmith

question

Postby hanpedro » 11. April 2007 01:03

Codesmith wrote:REAL SOLUTION: Change all references to the apache service in XAMPP 1.6.0a from Apache2 to Apache2.2.

Do you mean "Change all references to the apache service in XAMPP 1.6.0a from Apache2.2 to Apache2." ?

And, where is "all references"?
hanpedro

Operating System: SCientific Linux 6.1 x86

me too...

Postby gregl » 11. April 2007 17:45

Hey Codesmith, I've experienced very similar issues, and it's certainly flaky, seemed to 'self fix' after awhile on one computer but not others...

I've had had luck using your registry fix. Not sure about your other suggested fix, is that a xampp developer fix or a xampp user fix?

Thanks for your post,
Greg.
gregl

Postby Codesmith » 11. April 2007 18:31

To change the control panel you would need the source code, so it's definitely a Developer Fix.
Codesmith

Postby gregl » 11. April 2007 20:01

Gotcha. Thought maybe it'd be modifying a .conf file or something easy...Oh well! The regisgtry fix works too.
gregl

Postby woodman » 11. April 2007 20:58

I have exactly the same problem plus another, possibly related issue. I am running an odbc query in php (pdo) from an xp machine which connects to an access database on a win2003 machine. If I manually start the apache server from the XAMPP control panel the query works perfectly. However, if the apache service is run as a service (and starts automatically when the computer is booted) the query fails with a SQL error:

"SQLSTATE[HY000] SQLDriverConnect: -1032 [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

I did not have this problem running XAMPP 1.5.1 on a win2000 machine.

Any ideas as to what may be happening here?
woodman

Found the problem with the query

Postby woodman » 17. April 2007 16:53

woodman wrote:I have exactly the same problem plus another, possibly related issue. I am running an odbc query in php (pdo) from an xp machine which connects to an access database on a win2003 machine. If I manually start the apache server from the XAMPP control panel the query works perfectly. However, if the apache service is run as a service (and starts automatically when the computer is booted) the query fails with a SQL error:

"SQLSTATE[HY000] SQLDriverConnect: -1032 [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

I did not have this problem running XAMPP 1.5.1 on a win2000 machine.

Any ideas as to what may be happening here?

My fault with the query - I hadn't set the appropriate authorit for the apache service, so it couldn't access the backend database.
woodman

Re: How to Fix XAMMPP 1.6.0a apache service problems.

Postby petercl » 17. March 2009 14:51

If it were another apache running the port check would fail.

Question - when you click apache does it come up for about 1 sec saying it is running then die?

If so is is a failing module. So probably an httpd configuration issue. Best guess is it is failing to load php. Go into the extras/xampp_httpd.conf file and disable the line that tries to load the php module. If apache loads but your index page is ouputting the php code then you know that is the problem and most likely it is looking in the wrong folder for the php config.

Furthermore if you have previously intalled xampp then tried to uninstall it and re-install into a different folder you will get this. Weed out your windows registry and if it does not knacker your computer it should start working fine.

The best solution is.

1. Dump xammpp for Windows
2. Download the Windows version of VMWARE workstation and Ubuntu (or any Linux distro you like), Create a Virtual Machine, Bridge it to your network and boot up and there you have it, a stand alone web server with its own IP Address on your local network which is 100 times better.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT XAMPP IT IS WINDOWS AND WILL ALWAYS BE WINDOWS

Do yourselves a fav. Install a real operating system, if nothing else you'll never get another virus.
petercl

Re: How to Fix XAMMPP 1.6.0a apache service problems.

Postby Wiedmann » 17. March 2009 15:25

THE PROBLEM IS NOT XAMPP IT IS WINDOWS AND WILL ALWAYS BE WINDOWS

Why is Windows the problem?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows