Remove another service from port 80 so I can run Apache

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Remove another service from port 80 so I can run Apache

Postby tryin_to_learn » 05. April 2007 14:54

Hi,

I already have Tomcat running on Port 80 so when I tried to install XAMPP's Apache as a service, it wouldn't let me. How do I disable Tomcat and then link Apache to Port 80? I haven't used Tomcat in years but I know I had to change some environmental variables when I installed it. I no longer remember what I changed or even how to access the environmental variables. If I have to, I could just uninstall Tomcat and then start all over again with the XAMPP install, but since I changed the environmental settings by hand, I'm not sure uninstalling Tomcat would really fix the problem. Also, if there's another way around it, it would be nice to hang on to Tomcat -- nice, but not essential. Help?
tryin_to_learn

Postby Codesmith » 06. April 2007 05:07

I have no problem installing two web servers as services that both use port 80, but only one can be running at a time.

As far as I know I don't think Windows assigns ports to services, or checks for conflicts. I think its whoever grabs the port gets it, and its on you to make sure there are no conflicts.
Codesmith

Postby tryin_to_learn » 06. April 2007 14:11

Do you know how to get it to use 2 services? So far, I've found a site that gave instructions on using netstat to find out what services are assigned to what port and I got this info:

C:\Documents and Settings\XP Pro>netstat -ano | findstr "80"
TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1532

C:\Documents and Settings\XP Pro>TaskList /FI "PID eq 1532" /FO LIST /V

Image Name: apache.exe
PID: 1532
Session Name: Console
Session#: 0
Mem Usage: 12,168 K
User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
CPU Time: 0:00:02
Window Title: N/A

When I saw that it said apache was on that port, I brought up my XAMPP control panel again and sure enough, it says that both Apache and MySQL are running. (It didn't say that yesterday when I brought it up.) However, only MySQL is running as a service. When I checked the Service box by Apache, I get an error message that it's already running. Frankly, I don't know what all of that means. It's occurred to me that I'm running XP Pro, so maybe I already have a version of Apache? I typed in 127.0.0.1 and got the XAMPP welcome page. I checked the status and everything is activated except the SMTP Service.

I guess my questions now are:

1. What's the difference between something running as a service or simply just running? Do I care? LOL

2. Is there a problem with me being on XP Pro? If so, what do I need to do about it?
tryin_to_learn

Postby Codesmith » 06. April 2007 17:15

Zero problems with XP Pro, unless you consider windows firewall a problem.

There is a bug in 1.6.0a and the control panel.

Apache 2.2.4's service is named apache2.2 rather than just apache2 like the previous versions.

XAMPPs .bat files to install and uninstall the services still try to start and stop apache2.

I think the control panel is also looking for the service to be called apache 2 rather than apache2.2 and so it can't tell when its installed as a service.

Anyway thats my guess at the problem.

To really see what is and isn't installed as a service run services.msc from a command prompt.

That bug really had me confused 10 days ago.

If you can't live with the bug, just use an earlier version of XAMPP.

---

Running as a service is more convenient, but in practical terms it makes no difference.

You can run commands net start apache2 or net stop apache 2 if its a service.

Windows keeps track of service dependences, makes sure that it starts all needed services when you start a service. Allows you to automatically restart a program in the event of a failure ...

---
netstat is showing you what programs happen to be listening to what ports at the moment, not what programs are allowed to use what ports.
Codesmith

Postby Wiedmann » 06. April 2007 17:24

If you can't live with the bug, just use an earlier version of XAMPP.

Why not installing the service with the name "Apache2" instead off "Apache2.2"?
--> search the forum
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Codesmith » 06. April 2007 22:03

I don't know how to select an alternate service name when installing apache as a service.

I know how to change the service name once its installed.
I know how to manually create my own services.

That still doesn't fix the control panel problem as it will detect apache is installed as a service, but not properly install/uninstall that service.

---

Also Zend Platform 2.2.3 doesn't like XAMP 1.6.0a's version of PHP, and I make heavy use of the Zend Debugger.

1.5.4 lets me install Zend Platform 2.2.3 no problem and the XAMPP control panel is fully functional.

I do have a snapshot branch in my virtual machine with 1.6.0a installed, but have found little reason to run it so far.
Codesmith

Postby Wiedmann » 06. April 2007 22:18

I don't know how to select an alternate service name when installing apache as a service.

That's the reason I've written:
Wiedmann wrote:--> search the forum

BTW: You can also read the Apache manual to find the answer...
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows