Would XAMPP Work In This Situation

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Would XAMPP Work In This Situation

Postby Mr The Plague » 27. March 2007 18:29

So after futzing with Filemaker for longer than it was worth I am desperately trying to find a solution that will allow me to continue to code in PHP and MySQL but without an internet connection. I have found XAMPP and it seems to answer my prayers but I would like to ask a couple questions.

1). Will XAMPP allow me to write ODBC SQL queries to an ORACLE database that a client has when an internet connection is present?

2). Will XAMPP allow me to move records in its MySQL database to a MySQL database that is on my webservers when it has an internet connection (I would image a query that would pull info out of XAMPP's database into PHP and then place it in a webserver's matching MySQL database)?

3). Is there any restrictions on creating files in my XAMPP web directory that would not allow me to do the same file manipulations that I would do on my webserver install?

Thank you for any answers you can give. If this can meet my needs then you will have saved me a lot of headache of trying to adapt to Filemaker for this only periodically connected app I am trying to put together.
Mr The Plague

Postby Wiedmann » 27. March 2007 19:44

1). Will XAMPP allow me to write ODBC SQL queries to an ORACLE database that a client has when an internet connection is present?

If you have a working ODBC setup for this remote Server on your local pc: sure.

2). Will XAMPP allow me to move records in its MySQL database to a MySQL database that is on my webservers when it has an internet connection (I would image a query that would pull info out of XAMPP's database into PHP and then place it in a webserver's matching MySQL database)?

If this remote server allows connection from clients on your local pc: sure.

3). Is there any restrictions on creating files in my XAMPP web directory that would not allow me to do the same file manipulations that I would do on my webserver install?

Difficult to answer... Can you specify the "file manipulations"? (For example: chmod is not available on all os)

BTW: You are talking about PHP?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows