Vulnerability: FTP Daemon Bounce

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby meows » 08. March 2007 04:41

Last problem is with FTP,, I have shut mine down and my mail server off and not allowing anything until Secure Socket Layer (SSL)
Mail and FTP are secured and I can find a way to protect my servers.
Christine

Qualys ID : 27004 CVE ID : CVE-1999-0017
Port : 21
Diagnosis: Your FTP server allows connection bounces. An attacker who logs in to the FTP server may use the PORT command to instruct the FTP server to connect to an arbitrary remote host at an arbitrary port, including ports below 1024, for the data channel. The PORT command is normally intended to be used to create a connection to the client machine on a high-numbered port.
Consequences:
This vulnerability can be exploited by an remote attacker to do unauthorized port scanning against an arbitrary target host (including hosts on an internal network that are otherwise inaccessible to the remote attacker). When an open port is found on the target host, the service/daemon that listens on this port will receive FTP data that can be, for example, a file, a directory listing, etc.

Solution: Reconfigure or update your FTP server.
meows

Postby Snoopy.pa30 » 09. March 2007 04:11

Meows,

This is great information to know. (All 3 of your posts)

How did you test your FTP server for the vulnerability?

From the description it sounds like the attacker actually has to log in to the server in order to perform the PORT command. Is that really the case? If not, where can I find more info on this?

Please post anything you find on how to reconfigure the server to handle it properly.

THANKS
Snoopy

"Still trying to shoot down that Red Baron"
Snoopy.pa30

Postby WorldDrknss » 10. March 2007 11:48

http://wdguides.org - XAMPP Tutorials & MORE!!!!
WorldDrknss

Return to XAMPP for Windows