Suggestion : SVN server and Hmail Server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Should XAMPP team add SVN server and Hmail Server to the distribution ?

Mercury mail should be replaced by Hmail Server and SVN Server should be included
60%
Mercury mail is ok, but SVN Server should be included
10%
Mercury mail should be replaced by Hmail Server, SVN Server should not be part of XAMPP
No votes
Keep it as it is !!!
20%
What is Hmail Server and SVN Server ?!?
No votes
What is Hmail Server ?
No votes
What is SVN server ?
10%
DUDE, I DON'T CARE !!!!!
No votes

Total votes : 10

Suggestion : SVN server and Hmail Server

Postby Killerfrog » 02. March 2007 23:12

Hi,

I think XAMPP is a great project. I think it would be cool to include these 2 projects :

Mercury mail could been replaced (or both could be in the distribution) by HmailServer.

SVN Server which become more and more used could be included too !

What people think about this ?
Killerfrog

Re: Suggestion : SVN server and Hmail Server

Postby waitingforcfe » 08. January 2009 20:10

I've found this topic when i was looking for a Mercury32 howto.

I think it's too difficult to use!

I installed HMailServer and it works perfectly.

So, when will it be included in Xampp? :D
waitingforcfe

Postby Izzy » 08. January 2009 20:35

Out of over 650 views only 8 have bothered to vote.

I also believe that the OP did a similar poll before this one which also only scored a very poor response from readers.

Both polls seem to have been ignored by the XAMPP developers for reasons only they know and have not disclosed to these forums.

Good luck with resurrecting this old poll.
Izzy

Postby dmphotography » 08. January 2009 20:53

I did a lot of research on Mercury 32 and it isn't that bad really. It looks intimidating when you first open it and have a few windows open inside one, but once you get how it functions, it's got the ability to customize it.

What I think is someone needs to sit down and create a REAL thorough and detailed tutorial on it. Everything from a basic setup and launch one to one covering additional commonly used features. The problem I'm having with it is not being able to send or receive emails to and from it because I can't find enough info on how to make the external connection to the outside world. I can add the account to Outlook just fine and I can see where sent mail is being processed through Mercury, but it can't ever connect to the recipient server and I don't know enough about it to figure out why. If I could make it work, I'd gladly spend a few hours creating a really nice tutorial on it, but I'm at a loss.

As far as hmail goes, it LOOKS like the easiest solution, but I can't even add a created account to Outlook with it. Who would've thought the simpler was the more difficult to use?
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby waitingforcfe » 08. January 2009 21:11

I used Mercury32 some months ago.

It isn't as functional as HMailServer. Mercury32 is "more professional", i come from postfix + dovecot and i've spent some time trying to find some options that in HMAil are too "user friendly" (for example i haven't been able to quickly find the "mynet" setting in HMail).

HMail has a simple accounting system, in Mercury you need to create an account and then add an alias to it.

Anyway, i'm new to this forum and don't know why developers haven't added HMail, but the mailserver doesn't need so a difficult configuration, and you can install it. HAve it included in the xampp package would only save some minutes to download and upgrade it, but nothing more.
waitingforcfe

Postby waitingforcfe » 09. January 2009 15:04

Oh, i've forgotten an important thing!

HMailServer is completely OpenSource, Mercury32 is free for non commercial use.

:)
waitingforcfe

Postby glitzi85 » 10. January 2009 03:04

@waitingforcfe: I agree with you, Mercury is more professional. On the other hand has Mercury just a domain and a user list, and every user is getting mail for every domain. HMail has completely separated domains and you can create users for each domain.

In comparison with Postfix + dovecot both programs are just toys :D

Additional important thing is, that HMail stores everything inside an MySQL-Database. That's pretty useful, except that it does not provide the same flexibility like Postfix's + MySQL.

According to the huge amount of questions here in the forum, i would prefer some more "stupid-safe" mailserver in XAMPP. On the other hand should someone, who is not able to configure an mailserver like Mercury, not be allowed to operate an mailserver...

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby Izzy » 10. January 2009 04:08

To all reading this poll and any other polls on these forums.

I would think that reading all the posts in these Apache Friends Forums, including forum polls, would be far too big a time consuming task for the XAMPP developers which indicates that they will not be seen by those who will be able to make changes within XAMPP.

For instance, has anyone who is concerned about the mail server included in XAMPP sent a PM or an e-mail to Oswald or Wiedmann expressing their concerns?

If this PM or e-mail is sent, then it is always wise and useful to include as much related info as possible ie. like links to the alternative scripts or apps including the reasons for and against the current and replacement inclusions which will possibly help save even more of the developers time (and patience perhaps).
Also it would be helpful to include a link to the forum poll or any other related forum post.

Again, good luck with it.
Izzy

Postby waitingforcfe » 10. January 2009 13:57

According to the huge amount of questions here in the forum, i would prefer some more "stupid-safe" mailserver in XAMPP. On the other hand should someone, who is not able to configure an mailserver like Mercury, not be allowed to operate an mailserver...

Agree with you, i said that mercury is more professional, but HMail is only more simply to user, it has all functions that wee need.

It is completely open source, and mercury isn't. It uses a MS SQL db or a MySQL DB. Xampp has mysql integrated, so we don't have to install mssql. I don't think it's too difficult integrate it in xamp...
waitingforcfe

Return to XAMPP for Windows