link to a file

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

link to a file

Postby swalker » 22. February 2007 17:27

Hi all,

I believe this problem does have to do with Apache, please read on.....
I want my web application to contain links that automatically open files in their host applications. ex (.xls .doc. .ds). I have no problem with the .xls and .doc files. The .ds file extension however... I had to tell mozilla what it should be opened with. Now, with a local html file I can open the .ds files through a link (the host application automatically loads when I click the link). However, if I try this from a .php file through the localhost/ or even from my own webspace, the .ds files try to open up inside the browser instead of starting the host application. result: a whole bunch of garbage.
Is there any way to get around this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
swalker

Postby Wiedmann » 22. February 2007 17:30

What is "*.ds"?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

.ds

Postby swalker » 22. February 2007 17:49

.ds is the extension for files associated with an application called DataStudio.
http://www.pasco.com/datastudio/home.html
swalker

Postby swalker » 22. February 2007 18:01

I stand corrected:
I tried the same in IE and can open the .ds files from localhost/ or from my own webspace.
I suppose then the problem is with Mozilla, but only when using a server. Still any help comments would be helpfull.

Thanks
swalker

Postby Wiedmann » 22. February 2007 18:02

You can try to add this line to your httpd.conf:
Code: Select all
AddType application/octet-stream .ds

But this application have no offical mime type. And it's part of your browser to load the correct application. (maybe this works better with "application/octet-stream" then the default "text/plain").

Or just ask the author of DataStudio what you can do...
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows