Installing xampp in the root

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installing xampp in the root

Postby Tim Dawson » 02. February 2007 02:14

I've successfully installed XAMPP using the Windows installer. I tried to install in the root directory (i.e. d:\) but the installer wouldn't allow this. I was obliged to set the install folder to be 'd:\xampp' (or, presumably, any other folder name would have done) , but the resulting installation is in 'd:\xampp\xampp'. How can I avoid this redundant folder level using the Windows installer ?
ramasaig
Isle of Mull, Scotland

OS=WinXP Home SP2
Tim Dawson

Postby Marctwo » 02. February 2007 21:41

Sorry to be obvious but just use the self-extracting download, extract to where you like and use the scripts (.bat) provided for installation.
Marctwo

Postby Tim Dawson » 06. April 2007 09:25

Thanks, I'll look into it (you'll gather from the time that has elapsed that it's not top of the priority heap).

Nothing is obvious when you are new to it, and it's usually better to ask than experiment !

Am I right in thinking that the self-extracting download is an alternative to the Windows Installer package ? I'll need to uninstall that first, presumably.
ramasaig
Isle of Mull, Scotland

OS=WinXP Home SP2
Tim Dawson

Postby Codesmith » 06. April 2007 17:39

Just don't try to install both sets as services and make sure one installation is fully stopped (including the control panel) before starting the other and you will be fine.

If you want to run two (or more) test servers at a time on the same machine, just install some in a virtual machine. They are great for experimenting.
Codesmith

Postby Tim Dawson » 06. April 2007 18:13

Thanks. I've uninstalled the Windows Installer version, and used the *.zip. All is working OK. Now to configure the sendmail...
ramasaig
Isle of Mull, Scotland

OS=WinXP Home SP2
Tim Dawson

Return to XAMPP for Windows