New to xampp... Need help

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New to xampp... Need help

Postby Miss_Essence » 23. January 2007 14:11

I was running a server just fine running drupal 5.0. Then the need for a test site came in so I attempted to do their multi site set up. In the end I ended up with a backup of my mysql database and that's it.

I tried on my own but I keep screwing things up. So now I'm starting from scratch, and running up the white flag.

I've installed xamp at E:\server\xampp which is accessible via localhost.

I have set the passwords via xampps security thingy and all.

Now what I want to do is have two folders in htdocs. One being "test" and the other being "live".

The project I'm currently working on is a community site for people from sheffield, england. I have domains with dyndns.

The live url is sheffielduncensored.ath.cx and the test one is devsheffuncen.ath.cx

I want to be able to pop the urls in and get the pages without trouble.

Just to explain, on my last attempt somehow xampp was asking for a password for giving me a permissions error in the browser. I have no idea how I managed that.

So could someone help me out? I would -really- appreciate it at this point. Banging one's head on the wall can only be so fun for so long.

I'm basically trying to do this ( http://drupal.org/node/32715 ) which I have been struggling with for nearly 2 days.
Miss_Essence

Postby cvdbAdmin » 23. January 2007 22:40

You might try http://andymelton.net/tutorials/xampp_server.pdf. I haven't actually done this but I have seen it done and andy seems to cover it pretty well. His tutorial is for someone using Linux but you should be able to do the same thing in Windows with no problems. Just make the same changes to the files that he suggests but don't worry about all the command line stuff that he talks about.
cvdbAdmin

Postby Miss_Essence » 24. January 2007 02:18

cvdbAdmin wrote:You might try http://andymelton.net/tutorials/xampp_server.pdf. I haven't actually done this but I have seen it done and andy seems to cover it pretty well. His tutorial is for someone using Linux but you should be able to do the same thing in Windows with no problems. Just make the same changes to the files that he suggests but don't worry about all the command line stuff that he talks about.

I followed that letter to letter, except all the command line stuff. I put stuff in the virtual host config in /extras for Apache. I made a folder in htdocs called live, and said vhost is supposed to permit me to access said live folder via http://sheffielduncensored.ath.cx

Instead I get:
"Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
sheffielduncensored.ath.cx
01/23/07 20:14:12
Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8d mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.0 "

When I go to localhost I get:
Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
localhost
01/23/07 20:17:00
Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8d mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.0

Below is the addiction to the vhost conf file

Code: Select all
# Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost *:80

#
# VirtualHost example:
# Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
# The first VirtualHost section is used for all requests that do not
# match a ServerName or ServerAlias in any <VirtualHost> block.
#
##<VirtualHost *:80>
##    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
##    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
##    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
##    ServerAlias www.dummy-host.example.com
##    ErrorLog @rel_logfiledir@/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
##    CustomLog @rel_logfiledir@/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
##</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin sheffielduncensored@gmail.com
    DocumentRoot "/htdocs/live"
    ServerName sheffielduncensored.ath.cx
    ServerAlias sheffielduncensored.ath.cx
</VirtualHost>

Miss_Essence

Postby cvdbAdmin » 24. January 2007 21:48

Unfortunately I have never really seen issues with permissions when working with this process. I did notice however that in your httpd-vhosts.conf that this line is a little wrong:

ServerAlias sheffielduncensored.ath.cx

This will give a destination for the alias but it is not telling you what the alias is.
I am sorry that I can't help you with the permissions stuff. Hopefully there is someone out there who knows what needs to be done here.
cvdbAdmin

Return to XAMPP for Windows