localhost only works for a little while..... >:(

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby Izzy » 30. December 2006 08:08

Your apache error log looks normal.

This link explains the correct uninstallation proceedure better:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#524

You have a system issue if you can't read the event viewer. Not sure what that could be as it might perform differently in Home compared to Pro. You may need to research that fault and error message as it is a system problem.

WAMP could still be an issue if the paths to any of the WAMP components are still being accessed via the registry. Particularly PHP as this error you get seems to be a conflict issue.
I would still uninstall WAMP as you don't need it with XAMPP and make sure the paths don't include a path reference to the WAMP's php component.
Reboot after doing an uninstall of WAMP so any changes made in the registry can be recognised.

In the XAMPP welcome page there is a menu item phpinfo(),
Click on it and you should see your PHP information.

Look for the path to php and any abnormalities that don't point to any of the XAMPP paths. This might expose any issues with WAMP and XAMPP.

Control Panel>System>Advanced>System Variables>User variables and System variables will give you path information you might want to check. I found that copy and paste into a text editor made it easier to read the long paths. This also enabled me to edit them if required.
Izzy

Postby bobleny » 31. December 2006 04:19

Izzy wrote:Your apache error log looks normal.
Is that good or bad?

Izzy wrote:This link explains the correct uninstallation proceedure better: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#524
That link just tells you to use the "uninstall.exe" file, which I do not have...

Izzy wrote:You have a system issue if you can't read the event viewer. Not sure what that could be as it might perform differently in Home compared to Pro. You may need to research that fault and error message as it is a system problem.
I asked on a windows help forum. No answer as of yet.

Izzy wrote:WAMP could still be an issue if the paths to any of the WAMP components are still being accessed via the registry. Particularly PHP as this error you get seems to be a conflict issue. I would still uninstall WAMP as you don't need it with XAMPP and make sure the paths don't include a path reference to the WAMP's php component. Reboot after doing an uninstall of WAMP so any changes made in the registry can be recognised.
Well, I've been using WAMP for a while now, and I have a data base set up and what not. And I need those files before I uninstall it. Then, chances are, they wont be compatible with XAMPP, how do I make that work? How do I transfer my database from WAMP to XAMPP?

Izzy wrote:In the XAMPP welcome page there is a menu item phpinfo(), Click on it and you should see your PHP information.
Phhh! "phpinfo()" stalls the browser, lol... WAIT, thats not funny!

Izzy wrote:Look for the path to php and any abnormalities that don't point to any of the XAMPP paths. This might expose any issues with WAMP and XAMPP.

Control Panel>System>Advanced>System Variables>User variables and System variables will give you path information you might want to check. I found that copy and paste into a text editor made it easier to read the long paths. This also enabled me to edit them if required.
Mine, is apparently different than yours. Mine isn't set up to be copy and past and as a result, I cant copy and past anything. On the bright side, theres only three users variables and only eighteen system variables. The problem is, I don't know what any of this stuff is. So editing it, is a little difficult...
bobleny

Postby Izzy » 31. December 2006 04:44

Double click on xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe and paste the result here.

Because you can't load the phpinfo() file then it would seem that XAMPP Apache is not able to load the xampp\apache\bin\php.ini file.
This is a direct result of a path conflict with another instance of php on your system.
Izzy

Postby bobleny » 31. December 2006 05:36

I was unable to copy the results, so I took a screen shot of them....

In case you can't view the above image:
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=resultsrn6.png
bobleny

Postby Izzy » 31. December 2006 06:51

bobleny wrote:I was unable to copy the results, so I took a screen shot of them....

Right click on the little icon next to the CScript.exe file path - top left window border.
From the context menu select edit. Then you can use the menu items to mark, copy and paste etc.
This also applies in a command console window also.

The ports look fine - no conflicts there.

Edited
Last edited by Izzy on 31. December 2006 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby bobleny » 31. December 2006 07:12

lol fortunately I'm familiar with Command Prompt.

But, this is as far as I got:
Code: Select all
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>chdir C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin

C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin>php -h
'php' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin>

???
bobleny

Postby Izzy » 31. December 2006 07:16

Edited out
Last edited by Izzy on 31. December 2006 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby bobleny » 31. December 2006 07:27

Well, maybe thats the problem!? There is no "php.exe" file in the directory "C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin".
bobleny

Postby Izzy » 31. December 2006 07:37

Misleading post has been edited out.
Last edited by Izzy on 31. December 2006 21:15, edited 2 times in total.
Izzy

Postby bobleny » 31. December 2006 07:38

So, I should download the installer version?
bobleny

Postby Izzy » 31. December 2006 07:43

Last edited by Izzy on 31. December 2006 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby bobleny » 31. December 2006 07:48

So, your saying, to just reinstall it? I don't have to download a different type?

I like the .exe file myself. click it and away I go.

That, and it doesn't change the registry any. You know? I wonder if thats my problem...???
bobleny

Postby Izzy » 31. December 2006 07:55

Last edited by Izzy on 31. December 2006 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby bobleny » 31. December 2006 08:23

Ok, it still stalls on phpinfo() and acts exactly the same....
I got this when I did the command prompt thing...
Code: Select all
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>chdir C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin

C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin>php.exe -h
'php.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin>php -h
'php' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin>

There still appears to be no "php.exe" file in the directory "C:\Program Files\xampp\apache\bin".

Are you sure that is the correct directory? maybe it is in "C:\Program Files\xampp\php"? There is a php.exe in there...
bobleny

Postby Izzy » 31. December 2006 08:51

Last edited by Izzy on 31. December 2006 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Windows