New to home server need help

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New to home server need help

Postby Txchaser » 02. December 2006 16:09

I am new to setting up a home server and needing help with set up.
I have xammp installed and can read from it localy. I am needing help in setting it up to where it will be available on the www. If anyone would be nice enough to help me set everything up so that this can be done I would greatly appreciate it. I am gussing that this is going to deal with port forwarding and dns set up as well as opening ports, setting firewall ect. I have done alot of reading on these things and still am not able to get everything set upt the right way.
Txchaser

Setting up port forwarding

Postby Txchaser » 02. December 2006 23:26

Ok scince I have not gotten any help so far on this matter I have figured out a few things and now I am only stuck with one big thing. I have everything set up to be seen from the internet. The only problem I have now is I go to the address and it takes me to my router log in. This I am sure is because the domain is set up to go to my routers ip address. I need help in setting up my router and port forwarding to where I can acces my site via the web and not through a proxy. I have 5 static ip's and need the help in setting these up. to where each ip will point to my xampp server. and how to configure my router for this. I have a SMC8014 bussiness ip gateway (router) provided by comcast and I am on comcast bussiness internet. Could someone please help me setting this up.
Txchaser

Postby Izzy » 02. December 2006 23:30

http://www.google.com/search?q=port+forward

EDIT:
You should also consider when setting up your network modem/router that if you are on Cable that most cable operators block the popular ports like 80, 21 etc. and I believe that Comcast are no different.
Check with Google for 'comcast blocks port 80' and check out the results as it is possible that Comcast may not tell you which ports they are blocking.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows