Please get me out of MySQL prison!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Please get me out of MySQL prison!

Postby debd » 15. November 2006 02:36

HI,

I installed xampp on a WIn2k server. Then I uninstalled it thinking the mySQL was uninstalled as a service. Then I started deleting the XAMPP folders and realized MySQL is still there. How can I uninstall it as a service when 99% of my xampp folders are gone? There is almost nothing left in the mySQL folder so I do not think I can do it manually. HELP!
:oops:

Thanks,
Debd
debd

Re: Please get me out of MySQL prison!

Postby Izzy » 15. November 2006 03:54

debd wrote:HI,

I installed xampp on a WIn2k server. Then I uninstalled it thinking the mySQL was uninstalled as a service. Then I started deleting the XAMPP folders and realized MySQL is still there. How can I uninstall it as a service when 99% of my xampp folders are gone? There is almost nothing left in the mySQL folder so I do not think I can do it manually. HELP!
:oops:

Thanks,
Debd

Open a command prompt:
Click on:
start/Run....
Type:
cmd.exe
Type:
sc delete mysql

Hopefully this may fix your problem.
Izzy

Postby debd » 15. November 2006 17:30

I tried that and It does not seem to recognize "sc" as an interneal or external program. Should I be trying to delete the service from a specific location?
debd

Postby Izzy » 15. November 2006 19:57

debd wrote:I tried that and It does not seem to recognize "sc" as an interneal or external program. Should I be trying to delete the service from a specific location?
No.

Click on start on the Taskbar left hand corner.
Click on Run...
Type in cmd.exe
This will open the command console.
At the > prompt type:
sc.exe delete mysql

Microsoft explains the Service Controller Commands here.
sc delete

Deletes a service subkey from the registry. If the service is running or if another process has an open handle to the service, then the service is marked for deletion.

Note Sc.exe is included with Windows XP and with Windows Server 2003. Sc.exe is also available in the Windows 2000 Server resource kit.

Also you could try looking in the Task Manager for any instances of mysqld.exe or mysqld-nt.exe and end the processes.
To do that:
Right click on the Taskbar
Click on Task Manager
Select the Processes tab
Look for the mysqld.exe or mysqld-nt.exe entry
Right click on the name
Click on End Process
Click on Yes on the warning.
Izzy

Postby debd » 15. November 2006 21:50

Ah, I was being literal with the sc command you provided I did not use the .exe extension. (I did kill the processes before my original post and that did not entirely clean it up.)

In any event I decided to dive right into the registry and removed it that way. So far so good. Thanks for the detailed help. It is very much appreciated.
debd

Return to XAMPP for Windows