Probably a noobie question but.....

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Probably a noobie question but.....

Postby singularity69 » 29. October 2006 11:38

Hi all,

I have performed a clean install of XAMPP, using xampp-win32-1.5.4a-installer.exe, onto a 64bit installation of recently patched up XP. I took all the default installation paths. No problems. The XAMPP control panel states Apache, MySql and Filezilla are running. There are no errors listed in any of the apache logs. I checked out the ports using xampp-portcheck.exe and they are all fine.

My problem? I'm getting 404 errors when I am trying to access pages internally. I am not trying to reach these pages from outside. I currently only need to be able to reach these pages from localhost. I will deal with the external aspect later.

Typing localhost/xampp/phpinfo.php in the URL box brings up all the diagnostic info as expected. I copied the contents of phpinfo.php into a newly created test.php, using notepad, into the same directory, and then typed localhost/xampp/test.php it brought up a 404 error in Internet Explorer 7. The extension of the test.php is definitely .php and not .txt. I would have thought that this would work identically to the phpinfo.php.

I have tried moving the test.php into htdocs and doing localhost/test.php but I still received a 404.

I also installed the same XAMPP package onto a XP 32 bit laptop in the exact same way and it all worked first time. Given that that worked perfectly this has caught me by surprise.

Anyone have an idea why this might happen?
singularity69

Postby Izzy » 30. October 2006 05:05

xampp\logs\error.log might hold some clues.
Izzy

Postby singularity69 » 30. October 2006 07:57

Thanks for the reply Izzy. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a logs directory within either the main xampp diretory or the one in htdocs. I could find no other error logs that would assist. I even tried via the XAMPP web interface but couldn't find an error link for XAMPP specifically.

Any other thoughts?
singularity69

Postby Izzy » 30. October 2006 08:38

singularity69 wrote:Thanks for the reply Izzy. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a logs directory within either the main xampp diretory or the one in htdocs. I could find no other error logs that would assist. I even tried via the XAMPP web interface but couldn't find an error link for XAMPP specifically.

Any other thoughts?

Sorry, silly me, mind was elsewhere. :)

xampp\apache\logs\error.log
Izzy

Postby singularity69 » 30. October 2006 10:43

The error.log is present but empty. There are other logs in that directory too but they are also empty.
singularity69

Postby singularity69 » 30. October 2006 18:37

Hi all,

I have managed to find the problem. There was another entry in this forum called "Wierd Little 'Bug'?". It mentioned the nesting of the xampp directories. It got me thinking.

It seems I have suffered this same problem too. I moved my test page to that htdocs directory tree and found that it worked first time.

Thanks Izzy for trying :D
singularity69

Return to XAMPP for Windows