Tomcat Out of Memory: Permgen space

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Tomcat Out of Memory: Permgen space

Postby boonting » 20. October 2006 02:50

Hello,
My xampp version is 1.5.4a
Just want to share my solution. My application keep out of memory, especially when i trying to print report.
I have done some reseach, If you get the same problem, out of memory, very frequently.
It is 80% because of the sun jdk 1.5.
I have follow the follwing url, install other jdk to try.
SO far, the application is stable.

Tomcat_start_up.bat and tomcat_shutdown.bat
are hardcoded the java_home path.
Please change to your new jdk path.
It should be work fine.
http://jroller.com/page/agileanswers/20060623
Best Regards
Boon Ting
boonting

Re: Tomcat Out of Memory: Permgen space

Postby Izzy » 20. October 2006 03:11

boonting wrote:Hello,
My xampp version is 1.5.4a
Just want to share my solution. My application keep out of memory, especially when i trying to print report.
I have done some reseach, If you get the same problem, out of memory, very frequently.
It is 80% because of the sun jdk 1.5.
I have follow the follwing url, install other jdk to try.
SO far, the application is stable.

Tomcat_start_up.bat and tomcat_shutdown.bat
are hardcoded the java_home path.
Please change to your new jdk path.
It should be work fine.
http://jroller.com/page/agileanswers/20060623

Thanks for posting your solution to the TomCat out of memory issue.

In case the link in your post becomes corrupt or changes so as to become unavailble I have posted the text from the blog mentioned.
Once again thanks for posting the fix and for thinking of other members who may have a similar issue to resolve.
Friday June 23, 2006
Preventing Java's java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space failure

The "OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" message is normally encountered during development activites where a long-running JVM is asked to load/unload builds. However it can also be encountered in a recently spawned JVM under the "right" set of conditions.

The message is a symptom of an incomplete garbage collection sweep where resources are not properly released upon unload/restart. There is no shortage of debate (Hibernate forum, Sun forum, Spring Framework forum ) regarding which codebase is responsible for this symptom, but the finger of blame has been pointed at CGLIB, Hibernate, Tomcat, and even Sun's JVM.

Generally speaking, this is an interoperability issue and can be resolved by changing one of the components in your software stack. Some users have reported relief by upgrading to the latest Tomcat 5.5 release, others have simply opted for another webcontainer implementation (like Jetty or Resin) with varying degrees of success.

In my experience, the most pain-free method of resolving this issue is to switch from Sun's JDK implementation to BEA's freely available JRockit implementation.

On a recent project utilizing Tomcat 5.5.12 with Hibernate, I was plagued with this PermGen error, at times even experiencing it during web-based unit testing. Since making the switch to JRockit, I have not encountered this issue even once. I attribute the "fix" to the differences between JRockit's and Sun's garbage collection implementations, but have no proof that this is indeed the reason that JRockit resolves the issue. In any case, WFM.

Posted by ets ( Jun 23 2006, 11:23:09 AM EDT ) Permalink Comments [2]
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows