someone trying to hack ftp server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

someone trying to hack ftp server

Postby anwoke8204 » 14. October 2006 09:41

Hi I have had several attempts of people trying to hack my ftp server latley, any ideas as to how I can stop this, I need the ftp server as I have people who upload data(they all have thier own username and password, and the annon access account is disabled)for sites and so forth. there are no open/non passworded accounts on the server, and every account is set up with the right access and permissions for only thier folder. but someone is trying to hack the admin account? any idea as to how I stop this?
anwoke8204

Re: someone trying to hack ftp server

Postby Izzy » 14. October 2006 10:10

anwoke8204 wrote:Hi I have had several attempts of people trying to hack my ftp server latley, any ideas as to how I can stop this, I need the ftp server as I have people who upload data(they all have thier own username and password, and the annon access account is disabled)for sites and so forth. there are no open/non passworded accounts on the server, and every account is set up with the right access and permissions for only thier folder. but someone is trying to hack the admin account? any idea as to how I stop this?

You won't be able to stop hackers having a go but with FileZilla, the admin account is protected by a password you set and is only accessible from localhost 127.0.0.1 with an obscure port you can set and change when ever you feel like doing it.

Admin for your FileZilla should only be accessible from 127.0.0.1 also known as the local loop back address and is only available on your PC. So anyone trying to hack you from or to any other IP will be ignored.

Make sure your admin account has a very strong password although as it is only accessible from your own PC then it is a bit of an overkill. Never the less make it at least 6 mixed characters, upper and lower case and numbers and you should be protected.

See the Admin Interface settings in the FileZilla Admin panel only accessible from 127.0.0.1:xxxxx on your own computer. You should be prompted for your password when ever you try and access FileZilla Admin only from your PC.

Normally the default settings with the addition of an admin password is enough to protect your Admin Account.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows