XAMPP with PERL

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP with PERL

Postby DKY » 11. October 2006 02:09

I can't figure out how to install Perl on my new XAMPP install. I found a readme file (readme-addon-perl.txt)
Simply extract this add-on in your current XAMPP-Directory

What add-on?
DKY

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 sp2

Re: XAMPP with PERL

Postby Izzy » 11. October 2006 07:56

DKY wrote:I can't figure out how to install Perl on my new XAMPP install. I found a readme file (readme-addon-perl.txt)
Simply extract this add-on in your current XAMPP-Directory

What add-on?

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#644
Izzy

Postby DKY » 14. October 2006 02:14

I had to re-install XAMPP to the latest version in order to install the link above. I'm having a problem with MySQL now though. I have my data directory on a slave drive (the path is D:/WebServer/data) and when I open the admin for MySQL through the control panel for XAMPP I click on the tab called 'my.ini Setup' to edit the 'datadir'. I save the settings and restart my computer. I then check to make sure that the settings saved and they did. I go to phpmyadmin and it is still showing the databases that are in the XAMPP installation directory. Any ideas how I change it if that's now how?
DKY

Postby Izzy » 14. October 2006 02:26

I posted a how-to for another member who had a similar issue only a couple of days ago:

http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=20806

Good luck!
Izzy

Postby DKY » 14. October 2006 02:36

I must be slow or something. I can't find a my file or a my.cnf in my xampp/mysql directory
DKY

Postby Izzy » 14. October 2006 02:41

My typo. I have edited the above post. Look in mysql\bin instead.
Izzy

Postby DKY » 14. October 2006 02:49

Okay, I see it. Is this where I set the username and password too so i can stop using root? I set a username and password on the MySQL server and then go to edit it in the config.inc.php
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root'; // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ''; // MySQL password (only needed
// with 'config' auth_type)

Those edits just don't seem to work.
DKY

Postby Izzy » 14. October 2006 03:07

MySQL requires the root user either with or without a password. The password can be set or changed in the Security page of the XAMPP Welcome Screen:
http://localhost/
Select Security from the menu.

You only allocate a different user/pass combo to individual databases, as and if required, when creating them using phpMyAdmin.

The other configuration files should be left at their defaults. Except of course when you change the data directory location in the my.cnf file or the 'auth_type' in the config.inc.php file in xampp\phpmyadmin.
Last edited by Izzy on 14. October 2006 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby DKY » 14. October 2006 03:15

You kinda lost me above so I'm going to end up re-reading it a few times :lol:
What file do I have to edit to avoid the following error on the main page of my phpmyadmin?
Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole.
DKY

Postby DKY » 14. October 2006 03:18

Nevermind, changing the password in the security page (I had trouble with that because I moved my default localhost page to another drive and it took a bit to get to it) fixed the problem!! I now have a password for root.
I used to be able to have a username and password other than root in the older versions of MySQL, is this a new thing?
DKY

Postby Izzy » 14. October 2006 04:05

DKY wrote:...I used to be able to have a username and password other than root in the older versions of MySQL, is this a new thing?

In phpMyAdmin you can create a new user under the Privileges menu and give that new user a password and full Global Privileges the same as the root user.

Then you can use that new user to login instead of the root user.

This is a note from the phpMyAdmin documentation:
A word about users:

Many people have difficulty understanding the concept of user management with regards to phpMyAdmin. When a user logs in to phpMyAdmin, that username and password are passed directly to MySQL. phpMyAdmin does no account management on its own (other than allowing one to manipulate the MySQL user account information); all users must be valid MySQL users.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows