Updating XAMPP (how)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Updating XAMPP (how)

Postby rh+ » 05. October 2006 03:56

I read some topics and i dont find if there is any way to upgrade without having to backup all the files containing for example the settings.
thanks again
rh+

Re: Updating XAMPP (how)

Postby Izzy » 05. October 2006 04:04

rh+ wrote:I read some topics and i dont find if there is any way to upgrade without having to backup all the files containing for example the settings.
thanks again

Another case of lack of adequate documentation.

What version are you upgrading from and what version are you upgrading to as it makes a difference?

1.5.3a to 1.5.4 using the upgrade archives or installer does not overwrite your config files.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#1175

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#641

From any other version to 1.5.4 and you would need to uninstall that version first:
xampp\readme_en.txt

But first you would need to backup your databases and configuration files. Don't overwrite the new configuration files with your old ones but edit the new configuration files with the changes you made in the old files.
Some of the new configuration files contain additional configurations.
Just a tip that I found the hard way.

Your databases can very easily be exported using phpMyAdmin. Then import them into your new installation again using phpMyAdmin.

It's a bit messy and time consuming but it works.

You will also need to make a copy of your web site directories if they are in the XAMPP installation tree - example:
C:\xampp\htdocs\websites
You would make a copy of websites directory as it is in the XAMPP installation tree.

If your web site directories are in another location - example:
C:\www\website
Then there is no need to copy the directory website as this location is covered in your configuration files that you will update after you have updated XAMPP to the new version.
Izzy

Postby rh+ » 05. October 2006 04:33

Thanks again Izzy ill try later with more time (in case that something happends :lol: )
rh+

Postby Sean-Michael » 09. October 2006 03:40

I was also wondering this but I noticed there was information on the same page you get the download from when updating,

* Practice 4: The XAMPP upgrades
When individual components of the XAMPP collection are upgraded, we will bring XAMPP up to date as well. However, some developments are not compatible to our last release and so we cannot upgrade these elements. Usually we are able to update all servers and programms in XAMPP. NOT the configuration files because you could have modified them. Tip: If you have the installer version it is much easier to use the installer upgrade. All others should take the (7-)ZIP archive. Extract that package in the XAMPP folder directly and overwrite the older files.

Of coarse always make backups before applying changes :!:
Sean-Michael

Return to XAMPP for Windows